Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taming the Laundry Monster (share your tips)

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM
  • 19 Replies

Laundry is a necessary evil for most moms.  We can all use any tips we can get to help make it more manageable.

It wasn't too hard for me to stay on top of laundry when it was just my DF and I, but then we had our first son.  He was a spitter, so we went through numerous bibs and burp clothes and even a few outfit changes.  I was amazed that someone so little could generate so much dirty laundry.

When we had our second  and third son, it seemed like our laundry tripled.  I couldn't believe that adding just a few more person’s clothing could make the volume of my laundry increase so much.

I will be honest, I don’t mind washing the clothes.  It’s not so hard to sort them, throw them in the washing machine, and then transfer to the dryer.  My issue has always been with folding clean clothes and putting them away.  I will just let the baskets pile up until I am overwhelmed with how many clothes need folding.

It took some getting used to, but below are some tips that I use to “tame the laundry monster” in my house:

• Do one load of laundry a day.  This for a family of 5, but families with more may need to do 2 or more loads a day.  The idea is to break it up so that you are not doing it all at once.
  • Enlist other family members to help.  My boys love to help me sort laundry.
  •   As they got older, I began having them put away their own clothes.
  • Try to have a set day to wash bedding.  In my house, I do this all on Saturday.  By having a set day, I don’t have to try to remember the last time I changed the bedding.
  • Another idea is to have a set time to do laundry.  I usually fold a load of laundry after dinner while my DF is keeping the kids busy.  If you are home during the day, you could do it at nap time(if the kids still nap), or fold while watching TV, or whatever time best fits your schedule.

By following these simple tips, I think that you can tame your own laundry monster.  Good luck!!

And by all means share your tips for taming the Laundry Monster in your house.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hepmommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:45 PM
Yep. Doing at least one load per day is the easiest way to stay on top of it.
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM

My son is old enough to do his own laundry now, and that has helped A LOT.

Cindy18
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM

My DD, 17, does her own laundry.

My biggest tip I got from someone here on Cafemom was to stop sorting so much. I only sort into 2 piles now. Towels and jeans because I wash them on hot and "clothes", all the clothes go together and they are washed on cold. Unless I have something that I think will run, then I will get like colors together or just wash it on a mini load by itself.

bupkie
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:12 PM

OK, Would you please SHARE HOW you get the kids to LOVE helping with the laundry?   I have tried... and tried... but my boys... you would think I am TORTURING THEM!   What techniques do you use?  

I've tried asking nicely.... I've tried rewards...

Wait.... is it something you're slipping in their Cheerios isn't it?   Come on.... spill it....... 

menmy2lilmen
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM

This a great post seeing has today I managed to wash 10 loads of wash. It was crazy and I hated every minute of it. I TRY so HARD to do a load a day and I do good for a little while. One day out of the house though and I am completely of track. Oh and I tend forget about it after it hits the dryer. 

My trick is to do it twice a week on a day I know I will be home. To start it early and keep it going. Not stopping until it is done. I have no trouble folding it when i remember it but its putting it away that I hate hate hate. I tried having the boys put their own away but then find it all dumped in with their dirty clothes a few days later. I do make them fold the towels though and put them away. That helps get that pile moved. I also wash the sheets on the same day every week. Oh and I wash my whites with towels since I have none that will bleed and bleach them every other week. That makes one less load.

Jess1231
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:11 PM
HA I could never do a load a day, I do two loads each week. I fold it when it's done and put away only takes about 15 minutes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Thanks for tips. My son is six years old . He likes to put his clothes away. My husband is teaching him how to fold clothes,

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:53 PM

I have a dirty clothes pile in my room that the kids put their dirty stuff in. I don't have to go searching for it in all their rms, it's in one place to sort, and I don't have to worry about the kids putting the clean clothes in w/ the dirty when they put their stuff away.

lovinmymason
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Good tips.  Any suggestions for getting caught up so its not overwhelming so that you may tame the laundry monster.

manda2391
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:05 PM
Saturdays I stripe beds and put new.sheets on and wash the dirty ones and that's all I do laundry wise, other then that my husband doesn't during the week, since I work 3 nights out of the week. And our 8yr old puts hers away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)