Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bullying and disabilities

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM
  • 13 Replies

So...a week ago I had a sit down with the principal of the school regarding an incident where another child grabbed my son, twisting his arm and forcing his hand open.  A second child had been verbally attacking my son while this was going on.  Teacher in who's classroom this occurred did/said nothing.  Homeroom teacher gave son a think time for throwing a Lego in frustration ebcause he couldn't get his arm free, and when son told her what happened, she said: "And you survived it...look at these guys, they're bigger than you!"  So...that was addressed last Wednesday, and by Friday, it was "still in the process of being handled".

Today, the second child (the one verbally attacking my son) continued his attack (btw, this happened in the same class as the first incident - art class).  NOW, the school handbook is VERY clear about how bullying, in ANY form is not to be tolerated, and even lays out how discipline is to be handled.  So far, nothing has been done in the first incident.  I even pointed out to the principal that my son has a disability and if they are allowed to  bully him, we should just have the football team attack those with Down's Syndrome or those confined to wheelchairs....the only difference is that they have visible disabilities, whereas my son's disability isn't a visible one (yes, throwing the ADA into the fray).  I have sent an email stating that I will be in the office tomorrow and will probably ahve the resource officer with me as it seems that the school is not handling the situation as set forth by the county school board in the handbook.  School board meeting is the next step, as well as discussing the violation of the ADA...hubby even mentioned the ACLU...argh.

SO....I'm gearing up for another fight, hubby is ready to take a day off from work.  The thing that is apparently holding everything up is that the verbal attacker is the son of one of the teachers in the school and the physical attacker is a school safety patrol that has never gotten disciplinary action before....my response is so freaking what!  If you hold 1 child to the school policy and give them a written disciplinary action in th er school file, then you have to hold ALL children to the same policy and treat them the same.

Hubby told DS he has permission to "put the kid on his ass" if the bullying continues...I've made the pricinpal aware of this, so hoping that spurs him to actul stop being so passive (he actually asked me what I wanted the outcome to be....um....follow the guidelines in the school handbook, duh!!!) and start taking action in bullying cases.

I'm just so freaking tired of this....and what he fails to realize is that my son is perfectly capable of putting his hand through wood, seriously injuring a child....but refrains from doing so because he has been told over and over that if he uses his karate in school, it will result in him getting into trouble....the problem is that he will only take this for so long and then he'll blow...it's better that it be addressed before it reaches that point, but apparently we are the only ones that see this......crap, I *so* hate public schools...at least this one...and I still have my daughter to get through this school....sheesh..../

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SAHMOF2B1G
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM
I have been having the same problem. Have you thought about contacting the police about it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Good Luck tomorrow. Try to take a deep breath and stay calm when confronting the principle (as hard as that will be!).

Keep us updated.

eilenej1
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Best of luck!

auroragold
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM

When will these schools step up to the plate CONSISTENTLY?

Good luck and let us know the outcome

Armywife1998
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Good Luck, we had to get a lawyer involved with our Dds incidents.  Also, make sure that you put all this and what all you were told in writing with the word "meet in another venue.'  Also, most states now have laws that cover the victum and require mandatory jail time or community service as a punishment.  DD's 4 attackers all did both after we had the arrested. Look at your state laws in regards to bullying.

Again Good Luck Tiger Mom- I loved the book.

Jess1231
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM
Good luck I'm sorry your child is going through this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Quoting Jess1231:

Good luck I'm sorry your child is going through this!

You will be in my thought and prays. I do hope that you will get some results.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Hope you get some results soon.

lovinmymason
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I'm so sorry your family, esp your son is going through this.  I hope you get the situation resolved and your son can enjoy school again.

lovinmymason
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Please keep us informed on what happens

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)