Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cell phones

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:39 PM
  • 16 Replies
What age is appropriate for kids to have and carry a cell phone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booger14
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM
when they can pay for them...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyG1976
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:41 PM

we dont have a house phone most ppl dont anymore and pay phones have disapeared imo cells are needed once your kid really starts school but my oldest got one at 11 the next child was 10 the next was 8 my 6 yr old does not have one yet. there all on my plan with free phones cost $10 a month to add them never once had an issue ever they still ask to use it not allowed at night or texting at a dinner table ect ect. oldest is now 15.5 years old. my mom said got your quarter to me I say got your cell to my kids when I drop them at scouts or pokeman club...  

asdenyesmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:45 PM
My DD has had a cell since her 7 birthday and shes 8. We don't have a house phone and she is an 'on the go' type of girl. It's not for pleasure, but I do let her use it to keep in touch with all of her cousins since we always live across the country. This way she gets to speak to her grandparents, aunts, and uncles when she get ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
menmy2lilmen
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I have seen this asked so many times. I think it depends on the parents and the child. To me kids in elementary school carrying cells is not necessary. I do understand special circumstances and judge no one for it. It is just not for me.

My boys can have personal cells when they can help pay the bill. They will not have a full time phone on my plan. Prepaid where I can add a certain amount of minutes to it will be offered. If they use their minutes that is it. They can add more themselves or wait until next month.

lovinmymason
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Those who have given them a phone have they lost them? What is your rule if they get lost/stolen?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:50 PM

I think that it really does depend on the child and the family.  My oldest does have a need for one every now and again because he is left at ball practice alone while I run his brother to another activity.  Usually there is a parent at the ball practice that I know pretty well and trust to call me if necessary though.  He doesn't have one yet, but when we do we will add him onto our plan since it is only $9.99/month to do so for unlimited talk and text.

Think about it, when was the last time that you saw a pay phone?  I honestly can't remember.

soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 31, 2011 at 1:38 PM

My personal belief is that no child in elementary school needs a phone.  Both my boys got theirs at age 13 because it was deemed necessary.  If it's deemed necessary at age 13 for my daughter to need one, then she'll get one then.

family in the van   Mom of four

Powerstamper
by on Mar. 31, 2011 at 2:26 PM

IDK what's right for everyone else but we got our son one when he was 12 1/2 and in 7th grade. He only uses it to communicate with us. It has come in handy at times to keep our family connected now that he's on a different schedule from his sisters who are in grade school. Plus he walks home from the bus stop alone and I feel better with him having a phone just in case something should happen. It's a very basic prepaid phone with no camera or anything. He probably won't get anything 'fancy' for several years, if at all.

CrazedMomof2
by on Mar. 31, 2011 at 2:28 PM

My kids will have a cell phone when it is convenient for ME that they have one!

No idea when that will be.

Momofcrazy3
by on Mar. 31, 2011 at 2:40 PM

My oldest has one but he is 15.  My middle son has one that he got it when he was 10 and it was a Kajeet phone which is more on the kids but we got that when we didn't have a house phone.  To be honest he barely ever has it or it is always dead.  i agree with the other post that it depends on family and the situation and I would have to say the responsiblitly of the child.  i have friends that have there kids on those prepaid plans and if there grades aren't good then they loss minute on those. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)