Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food Revolution (PIOG)

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM
  • 17 Replies

Did you watch it last night?? The thing about the ammonia washing the beef remnants to make ground beef was NASTY. I wanted to puke!  I LOVED his sugar demo about the sugar in flavored milks. I am SO tired of hearing people say to give a kid chocolate milk if they won't drink milk because they need the milk so bad that it is ok to give chocolate to get it in them. I know how much sugar is in the flavored milks and that demo was still impactful for me. Hoping it opened some eyes!

http://leangreenmommy.wordpress.com/

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I have never watched it.

SoniaL
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM

You should, it's so good!  This time the school district refused to let him in to any school so he tried to help at a restaurant and have off-site lessons to show parents what their kids are eating at school.  He filled a school bus w/ the amount of sugar consumed by the children in the L.A. School district just from flavored milks in one school week.  It filled the bus and overflowed out all over.  I think he said it was 56 tons of sugar!

Quoting natesmom1228:

I have never watched it.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Is it all real? Most reality TV is not reality.

SoniaL
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Yes, it's real.  He is a chef and father of 4 and getting people to eat well is a passion of his.  The rules in European schools are SO much better than in America.  he is trying to start a Food Revolution to try to get Americans (particularly school districts) to improve eating habits.

Quoting natesmom1228:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I watched some of the first one and it was just nasty.  I couldn't continue to watch and was kinda grossed out that school actually feed kids like that and that parents have crap like that in their houses.  I'll never forget the freezer full of frozen pizzas, I mean jammed full.  Why do you need that many frozen pizzas in your house?  Ewwww and the chicken nugget demo made me really ill.

At our school when they have turkey dinner, you can smell the turkeys cooking the day before and it gets your mouth watering.  Mashed potatoes are from potatoes not a box.  Veggies are either fresh from the HS green house or frozen.  There are ovens in our school's kitchen and they do use them daily.  I honestly don't recall seeing a deep fryer though, hmmm.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I'm guessing that some of it is staged for the cameras, how else would he have so many people standing around a bus full of sugar?

Quoting SoniaL:

Yes, it's real.  He is a chef and father of 4 and getting people to eat well is a passion of his.  The rules in European schools are SO much better than in America.  he is trying to start a Food Revolution to try to get Americans (particularly school districts) to improve eating habits.

Quoting natesmom1228:

stacy2607
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:28 AM
I DVR'd it, haven't watched it yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoniaL
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Well, he sent out thousands of emails trying to get people there and honestly was very disappointed when only about 15 people showed up. had they staged it they would have gotten mroe people.  I mean it is a show so there is editing, etc. But the nasty food is as real as it gets.  the nugget demo last year...BARF!!!

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm guessing that some of it is staged for the cameras, how else would he have so many people standing around a bus full of sugar?

Quoting SoniaL:

Quoting natesmom1228:

Jess1231
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:53 AM
Never heard of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cherish77
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Makes you wonder why they won't let him in, doesn't it?  Like they are in deep denile and don't want to let the Parents decide what their kids get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)