Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Painting advice.. I know, not a normal subj. in the group.. =)

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM
  • 9 Replies

SOO We just bought our first home. And I am about to start attempting updating it. But, We will be moving in a few years ( Military ) and would like to make the house "ours" but also ready to sell. If that makes since. I am wanting to start on both my kids rooms. Originally I was wanting to paint my daughters room a very VERY soft pink. To where you would not be able to really tell it was pink unless you had pink or white in the room. And I was going to do the same with my son's, but light blue. My husband has a huge problem with this. He doesn't understand that we will most likely be re painting before we move any ways, just because or normal ware and tear. But any ways, I need to appease him, and do something me and the kids will enjoy, and still make the rooms look better! lol (Sorry im so new to all this and have no clue where to start lol)

So Right now both rooms are white, and have boarders I will be taking down. And the rooms don't have baseboards (I want to put some in, but an debating on waiting until we replace the carpets) I would also like to put crown molding in, but the rest of the house doesn't have this, so im thinking it will make the kids rooms look to different. (the house is country theme)

So I am thinking of doing the chair railing around both rooms ( the boarder or molding about in the middle of the walls ) But I still don't know what color to paint the rooms to keep them neutral colors, but yet go with the kids rooms. My daughter has pink and purple and is in to soccer ( im prob. going to get soccer decals and make them pink and black ) If I do, do the "chair rails" I was going to leave to top half white, but don't know what color for the bottom. Same prob. with my son's room. He likes dino's and toy story.. I'm sorry so long, im just so lost! Any help, advice ect is needed!

I'm excited to start work on our first home. And I normally am great with colors. But when it comes to the kids rooms, I want to make them fun. and I don't know how to make neutrals fun lol

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Honestly - I think the pale pink and blue ARE neutral enough. Even with selling the house again - might it not be to a family with children? People are able to look beyond current paint color when choosing a home.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM

if you do the chair rail for your daughters room do a brown, not a dark brown, like tan, on the bottom and maybe the light pink or purple on top, i am thinking a light green for your son's room instead of blue so that when you do move the green is neutral enough for the next person to use and then just paint the rest of the daughters room the tan color  

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM

My brother just bought a house recently one of the rooms was hot pink, the other was like a royal blue, he did not care, he just painted over it with what he wanted.  Idk why people get pissy over painting rooms, thats like the cheapest fix there is.  If your dh doesn't like doing the pink and blue and whatever, get wall stickers you can later take off, with window treatments, and fun bed spreads and stuff like that?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Ya i didnt think it would be a problem since i was wanting light colors. Im deff. not planing on doing really bright or dark colors that are hard to paint over! So i dont exactly know where hes coming from o also, he thinks, bare while walls sell better then warm colors.. Uhg lol I am planning on doing the wall stickers, and window treatments. And not wanting to go out ragious with everything. Just towhere it'll match my kids more, and theyll enjoy thier rooms ect. Some one said something about magnetic paint on the top half of the walls, and fabric on the bottem, and magnets to hang the chair rail. What do yall think? I mean do you think magnets would hold that up?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM
I think the light pink and blue would be fine! Most people end up changing it anyways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Not sure about that, never tried that, I have only ever painted 2 rooms, my whole life, both as my mom tells everyone as colors you would see in a cheap mexican hotel,lol.  I like bright colors.  The first room when I was 18 was aqua blue, and the second was a bright blue like royal blue I think(Behr called it Space cadet blue?).

We can't paint here(well we probably could but would have to paint it back if we moved, weird rules).

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Ya, weve rented all our places before here, so we never painted. Or never could paint. So I guess im just over whelmed with so much I could do lol

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Keeping the colors calm... light, not too dark or too bright... and neutral are always a good idea when painting specifically to stage a house to move.   However, if the main living areas are neutral, then the bedrooms can have a little bit of color or personality to them and it shouldn't have an effect on the sale of the home.  

Any home staged right will sell.   A little over four years ago, DH and I prepped our house for sale.   We re-painted the living room, kitchen, bathrooms, and downstairs level (of a 3 level split).   The bedrooms, however, we did not paint.   My two boys' rooms took a LOT to see beyond.  I painted the bottom half of both rooms  a cartoony grassy green on the bottom, and a bright sky blue on the top halves of the walls.   I painted fluffy clouds, some of which were in "shapes".   In the baby's room I hand painted Tigger, Pooh, Eeyore on the walls... and some balloons, etc.    In the other childs' room I painted various Disney Characters - Tigger, Mickey, Woody, Buzz, Pooh, etc...    

Two couples came to view the house the first hour - the first day it went on the market... neither with kids.   BOTH put offers on the house that day!   (And we sold the house!)   

So, yeah, with kid's rooms, it really doesn't matter the colors on the walls in the kids' bedrooms.   If you've staged the rest of the house right... The paint color on those walls matters least!    (Just don't wallpaper!  LOL!)  

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:41 PM

O awesome! That helps out alot! and NO Deff. not planning on wall papering ANYTHING lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)