Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice is Advice: Take it or Leave it!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:33 AM
  • 7 Replies

Advice = recommendation regarding a decision or course of action; counsel

Okay, that's how I look at advice.  Here on CM, we are often in the routine of giving advice.  I am more than happy to share advice and suggestions, recommendations if you will, to those of you here on CM or to my family and friends, as requested.  Under no circumstances, however, do I expect others to do as I suggest.  I feel that individuals might ask for my opinion or my advice, and they will then look at the big picture with all their research, and then make the best decision possible for themselves.  I would never expect that what I say should be the end all be all - how self-righteous would that be?

I often ask for advice too. Often I get many different suggestions that it wouldn't even be humanly possible to put them all into effect!   A friend of mine offered me some advice, that I had soicited a little while ago.  I didn't, however, take up her advice and she is crazy upset by it.  Why would I even waste her time if I didn't think she'd have the right answers..... it was crazy.  I just kept telling her that I had to do what, in the end, I thought was best.   (I've had this kind of confrontation from other people too (FIL, SIL,.....) but never from this person and I am just floored.  You can sure bet I won't be scoping out opinions from her any time soon!

Have you ever had someone expect you to follow their advice and then you didn't?  Am I wrong to be upset?  Do you listen to what everyone says and try it all?  Any thoughts?

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:42 AM

I don't think you are wrong. It's your decision what advice you want to take. Stay strong.

auroragold
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:54 AM

My mother is famous for having a snit fit if you don't follow her advice. Oh well- I've survived THIS long going dead set AGAINST her advice LOL.

I try not to offer "ADVICE" but instead "perspective". Trying to get someone to step away from themself and look at the problem from a different vantage point. They may come up with exactly the same approach but if they've taken off blinders to even contemplate a differet solution that counts.

It's the "nope, my way is the only way and there can be NO possible other way and your way sucks" attitude that pisses me off

janitablue
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Quoting natesmom1228:

I don't think you are wrong. It's your decision what advice you want to take. Stay strong.

I agreed at the end of day it is your problem. The decisions you make will effect you not the person who gave you advice. Not all advice is good advice. Trust me I know.  You have to do what is best for you..............................

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM

blank stare

menmy2lilmen
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM

i do not care if you follow my advice or listen to my opinion. At the end of the day its still your problem. You can chose how you want to fix it. 

My mom is always giving out advice. I often ask for some. She also gets mad when I do not follow it to the letter. I get the speech "why did you bother asking in the first place?"

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I usually don't care if someone takes my advice or not. For some reason, I'm not always as good w/ that w/ dh, though. Something that I know I need to work on.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 24, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I think it's impossible for everyone to try all the advice they're given. I don't expect others to follow my advice, but I would hope that if some one is asking for advice that they're willing to keep an open mind when they get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)