Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grandparent Involvement

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:38 AM
  • 33 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you really feel about the level of involvement your childrens' grandparents have in their lives? Please feel free to comment below!

Options:

It's just right!

I wish they were around more!

I can't get them to butt out!

Other...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justanotherjen
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:40 AM

I really have no opinion.  We live 2000+ miles from them and both are disabled (my dad and my mil are the only ones left).  My kids won't see them again for a long time since we can't afford to go visit them and they can't afford nor can they travel this far to see us.  Involvement is the occasional phone call and birthday card.

cawmom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:48 AM

My parenst are the only grandparents my kids see regularly, They are at my parents everyother weekend for a night becasue dh and i both work the same weekends.  My parents will also call to take the kids out somewhere, or they'll just stop by for a visit. DH's mom we only see maybe once every 6 months, which pisses us off because she was so happy to be a grandparent.

endurablemist
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:27 AM

I put other. I love how involved my mom is. We visit weekly, she calls them. She lives about an hour away, she is disabled so cant come to us, but we go there.

On the other hand my baby is 10 months old tomorrow and has only met DFs parents once. They live 5 hours away. They had always said when she was born they would be here, well they didnt come til she was 4 months old. DF calls them once a week, but that is only because his oldest daughter lives with them. She is graduating from high school in June, which will be the next time the kids see them. They have time and money to go places every month except to see the girls! Oh and they cant even take a day off traveling to come to Serenity's first birthday, even though they will be driving right through here!

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:25 AM

I put other because my mom is very involved. Both of my son's sets of grandparents are around and extremely involved in him. My hubby's parents treat my son like one of their own. I couldn't ask for better.

auroragold
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Just right with infrequent visits :)

offrdngal
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:55 AM

My mother decided to exclude Derek from things, just because she is pissed off at me.  It's bullshit.  Then she decides that she is going to circumvent me and become "friends" with my ex to make it look like she actually gives a shit.  Yet she still never calls or emails Derek. 

hepmommy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:56 AM
It's just right for us!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkfairy0206
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:59 AM

my mom is the only grandparent my children know. my dad was an alcoholic and i had no contact with him for over 5 years when he passed away. my hubbies mom passed when he was 6,and his dad and step-mom are somethin else lemme tell you. their a whole other story themselves. my oldest daughter knew who they where but my 2 other girls have no idea and my son is 4 months and has never seen them,and never will. my husband wants nothing to do w/them.

pinkfairy0206
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM

just wanted to add that my mom does so much for them,she fills the void anyway!

Quoting pinkfairy0206:

my mom is the only grandparent my children know. my dad was an alcoholic and i had no contact with him for over 5 years when he passed away. my hubbies mom passed when he was 6,and his dad and step-mom are somethin else lemme tell you. their a whole other story themselves. my oldest daughter knew who they where but my 2 other girls have no idea and my son is 4 months and has never seen them,and never will. my husband wants nothing to do w/them.

crazytexan
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:01 AM

I really wish that both set of grandparents would be more involved. Both of my parents live out of town, but when they come visit, my mom ignores the kids but my dad will play with them as much as he can. Dh's parents live in the same town and see the girls maybe once a month, and that's only after we call them because the girls want to see them. They never come and see them on their own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)