Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allergy Classmate?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:46 AM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: How far should you have to go to protect another child from an allergen at school?

Options:

I'd do whatever it takes

I'd comply with 'reasonable' requests

If it's potentially that severe the parent should home school the child

Other (more thoughts?)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cawmom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:54 AM

if its potentially life threatening they should be home schooled, its just safer. 

endurablemist
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:18 AM

There is a kid in my daughter's class that has a peanut allergy. We are still able to send peanut butter and jelly, but Sarah knows if she does she has to sit at a different table. They have a peanut butter table, and if only one student is there they are able to pick a friend to sit with them. Then the whole class must wash their hands after lunch. We are not allowed to send in anything with peanut butter to class parties. I see this as no biggie when it come to his safety, although if they banned peanut butter completely it would make things harder since that is one of the few things my daughter will eat!!!

CrazedMomof2
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:25 AM
I would follow whatever guidelines were given. I would hope others would do the same if it were my child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Why would you not do whatever possible to protect a child.

SCmomof3girls
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Whatever I can if it is reasonable. Before birthdays, I always contact the teacher to find out what allergies are in the class so I can send it something appropriate for all the kids. I don;t think I would be happy going so far as to what the school in the news was doing....making the kids rinse their mouths twice a day and I don't remember what else. Something simple like making them wash their hands is ok, they should be doing that anyways, but like someone else said, if it is severely life threatening, then the parent should be homeschooling because I personally just would not take that risk.

kellysp6637
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I'll comply with REASONABLE requests.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Whatever it takes, our kids lives are worth it.  I would want another parent to do the same for my child, so why wouldn't I do it for theirs?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I'd do what I was asked. But I hope the parents would understand that everyone won't. Even if they want to, it just doesn't always work that way. Think of the underwear post. Everyone says their child wears it every day, but do they check? 

I've heard of requesting all the kids to brush their teeth before coming to school. It's great to ask, but if your child's life is really at risk you can't count on 20 sets of parents to never forget or have a rushed morning.

If my child had allergies I would constantly remind him and myself that we are responsible for keeping him safe.

beanielips
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:26 AM
This is one of the first real solutions I have seen!

But, I find it ironic that it is ok to ostrisize the kids that eat peanut butter and not the one that has the allergen. I guess my only point is that someone is always going to be excluded.

Quoting endurablemist:

There is a kid in my daughter's class that has a peanut allergy. We are still able to send peanut butter and jelly, but Sarah knows if she does she has to sit at a different table. They have a peanut butter table, and if only one student is there they are able to pick a friend to sit with them. Then the whole class must wash their hands after lunch. We are not allowed to send in anything with peanut butter to class parties. I see this as no biggie when it come to his safety, although if they banned peanut butter completely it would make things harder since that is one of the few things my daughter will eat!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Our school does something like this, except they have a peanut free table.  It is a different color than all the other tables and is never used for anything other than the kids with peanut allergies to eat their lunches at.

Quoting beanielips:

This is one of the first real solutions I have seen!

But, I find it ironic that it is ok to ostrisize the kids that eat peanut butter and not the one that has the allergen. I guess my only point is that someone is always going to be excluded.

Quoting endurablemist:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)