Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should kids be able to have cell phones in school?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:49 AM
  • 26 Replies

Poll

Question: Should kids be able to have cell phones in school?

Options:

Yes, as long as kept in their pocket or backpack.

Yes - but they must be left in a locker or kept off

No

Other, please explain below.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazedMomof2
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:05 AM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endurablemist
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:12 AM

Kids are sneaky! So i voted in the locker turned off. I can see how some kids need it if they have things after school to call home. But my cousin is 14 and she has her phone in class with her, for no reason, she isnt involved in after school activities.Anyway she some how finds a way to text while in school. She has had teachers take her phone for a week, and still she does it. She actually gets mad at the teacher about it. Of course her parents dont care, the first time my daughters was caught texting in school, would be the last day she had a cell phone!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:36 PM

on phone

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I voted yes, but in locker or turned off. It might be a tool that parents need/want for when their kids are busing home or are in after school care.

Homealonex2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 9:31 PM

I voted yes, and I would like my dd to have it with her.  Its needs to be on silents she can check it at lunch and after school.  For me it's a safety concern if something happens I want her to be able to get help.  If it's in her locker she might not be able to get to it. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:11 PM

This is a tricky one because there as so many ways kids can use phones to cheat or even just as a distraction in school. My policy is I don't want to see it or hear about it. When we had testing part of the instructions is that they cannot have cell phones with them. I had 3 kids get up to put away phones. I was surprised it was that many. They're only in 4th grade!

hepmommy
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I voted yes, and to have them nearby.  I'd want my child to have fast access to it if there were an emergency. 

matofour
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:15 PM
Nope.
There are phones in a school in case of an emergency. They become a huge problem In a true emergency, because a teacher, principal, etc is trying to get people to listen to follow directions and you have ten kids on their phones.
No need for a phone in class.
If you insist, keep it in your backpack, turned off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lfrrll5
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:21 PM

I said no. I agree with Matofour. My oldest is in 4th grade and half the kids in her grade have one. I was shocked that so many have one. In my opinion kids that young are not responsible enough to have a cell phone. They are distractions at school and there is no reason to have one at school. Teachers and principles have access to phones including cell phones. 

CrazedMomof2
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:56 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting Barabell:

I voted yes, but in locker or turned off. It might be a tool that parents need/want for when their kids are busing home or are in after school care.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)