Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help my six year old won't stop peeing the bed

Posted by on May. 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have tried everything sticker charts, having friends over. getting her up at nigt not letting hr drink after supper and making her goright before she goes to bed. She stillwets almost every night I am going insane we can not afford the overnight pants right now and when I do use them she just sees them as an excuse to not worry about it so please help I do not know what to do anymore

by on May. 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hepmommy
by on May. 14, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Have you had her checked by her pediatrician or a urologist?  Sometimes there's an underlying medical cause for that type of thing.  It has an actual diagnosis, but the name escapes me right now.  We have had a few other members who are dealing with this as well.

asdenyesmom
by on May. 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM
Do you let her drink sodas or carbonated drinks? If so, stop. Wake her up every 2 to 3 hours to go. I know it sounds like a hassle, but it helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ajpurvis
by on May. 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM

My 7 yr old an 9 yr old are going throwing though this as well but its due to there meds. But we have done everything you have and there is nothing that helps so if u find an answer  plz let me know :) Sorry I wasn't much help but just know ur not alone.

janitablue
by Janita on May. 14, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Quoting hepmommy:

Have you had her checked by her pediatrician or a urologist?  Sometimes there's an underlying medical cause for that type of thing.  It has an actual diagnosis, but the name escapes me right now.  We have had a few other members who are dealing with this as well.

The diagnosis is call AdH Anti Diuretic Hormones . Click on to Bedwetting. I hope this helps.

ctcountrygal
by on May. 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I have tried all too.... but by all that I have talked to a child will stop when they are ready, 

CAMKsMom
by on May. 14, 2011 at 11:00 AM

When is it normal to be dry at night?

85% of kids are dry at night by the age of five.  90% are dry by the age of seven.  So, although you may be concerned that your preschooler still wears diapers at night, he is not alone! Remember: Just because your toddler is toilet trained (dry) during the day...that doesn't mean she will be dry at night.  It can take several months to achieve both milestones. 

The most common reason kids can't stay dry at night is because the have teeny bladders.  Yes, this is a real phenomenon.  The average three year old's bladder can only hold 5 ounces of pee!  (Yes there is a formula for this: bladder capacity in ounces = age in years plus two). 

By comparison, an adult's bladder can hold 12 to 16 ounces. (11).  And some kids have an even smaller bladder capacity than the norm.  Other kids simply do not wake up when the urge to pee arises.  Parents always describe these kids as deep sleepers.

If your child still isn't dry at night, the best thing to do right now is to limit fluid intake after dinner and avoid products that contain caffeine.  And do not punish your child for having accidents.  Just put them in a diaper and let time solve the problem

The above is from Toddler 411 by Denise Fields and Ari Brown, M. D.

I think the take home message is relax and just let your young one wear a diaper at night.  What you and your young one are going through though it is frustrating is normal. 

At night for my 14 month old who can soak a diaper like nobody's business, we now use product called Fuzzibunz. It's a cloth diaper with adjustable absorbency.  They can be adjusted 30 different ways but are very simple to use.  They come with two pads you insert in a large pocket (make for easy removal with not alot of ickiness).  They have a wide range of colors.  They cost about $20 a piece but they are great quality and last a long time.

You'll want to look at the Perfect Size NOT the One Size because One Size is for infants and Toddlers. 

I do have a toddler so I use the one I am not reccomending to you.  The one I am not reccomending costs $20.  It comes with two padded inserts.  Yours will come with only one padded insert.  However, if you buy some thick wash cloths. you could could stuff the pocket with those and not have to buy more than one diaper.

http://www.fuzzibunz.com/cloth_diapers_how_to_choose.php

Night wetting can be so frustrating.  It stinks to have everything soaked in the morning.  Hugs to you.

CAMKsMom
by on May. 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

The book I mentioned goes on to say that night wetting doesn't become an issue until after age 7.  Until then, though frustrating, it is normal.

Also, though limiting fluid intake after dinner is a step that can be taken, remember there are many foods that can be eaten that contain water.

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM

My daughter wet the bed till she was 7.  There's a history of it and it's genetic.  We would use those overnites (kind of like pull-ups for bigger kids).  When she was 7, my MIL talked to her.  She told her the reason why she was peeing the bed was because her brain wasn't telling her body to wake up.  So, before she went to sleep, she had to tell her brain to wake up her body in the night to go pee.  It worked.  Her accidents went from an everynight occasion to a few accidents.  Now she's 11 and nothing.

family in the van   Mom of four

hollydaze1974
by on May. 16, 2011 at 1:02 PM

My 11 yr old urinated twice weekly in his bed since age 5, turns out, he would just sleep through the need to go. Actually, on an occasion or two, he still does it. You may try (seriously) getting her up at two and have her go in the middle of the nite.... sounds like a pain, but how are stickers going to help when she doesn't have control over what happens when she's asleep. and hepmommy is right, you may want to have her checked out just in case.... however none of us are responsible for our action when we are asleep. I feel safe in saying she'll grow out of it as her bladder muscles get stronger and "the need" becomes a conscious one that wakes her up.

eilenej1
by on May. 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM

And by all means, please do not give her the impression you think she's lazy.  It takes some longer than others, including my 7 yr old boy.  We praise, praise, praise when he has a dry bed.  And when he doesn't, we just tell him better luck tomorrow (in a positive way) and let it drop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)