• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is total BS!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:45 PM
  • 28 Replies

I was supposed to go out tonight, but it fell thru. The sitter was already here. She is a Sr. this year and I asked if she is getting nervous for graduation.  She told me she won't be going to graduation.

She is passing all of her classes and has all the credits necessary to graduate. But, since she failed the math portion of the TAKS test by 2 points, the school district is not letting her walk in the graduation.

That is BULLSHIT! I am furious! Her parents are going to the school on Monday to try to get it worked out, but graduation is right around the corner.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CosmicPossum
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:48 PM

If she has the necessary credits for Graduation and will be receiving her diploma anyway then she should be allowed to walk.  I think any student who has not threatened to make a disturbance at their graduation should walk.  Two points on a math test should not result in the punishment of being banned from an achievement this girl worked on her entire school career.

TipToe19
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Sounds about like GA and the graduation test. I hear students complaining about situations like this all the time, but they have 5 or 6 opportunities to take the test between junior and senior year. Students are only required to retake the portions they "failed", so if you can't pass in 5 or 6 tries I don't think you should be able to walk in the graduation ceremonies. 

emilysmom8
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM

If she failed a test she needs to pass than she should not be able to graduate, yes it does suck but thats life

Life's not the breath you take, but the moments that take your breath away

KME3
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:56 PM
Those are tests you take throughout hs....i finally passed the math test and it was my last time too...i passed everything else in 9th grade but took till my senior year to pass the math...she had 4 years to study...sucks she didn't make it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jennbec1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:06 PM

She has passed all of the classes, so obviously she knows the material. She just didn't do great on the test. They just took the test a couple weeks ago and she just found out yesterday. They haven't left enough time for her to retake it and try to pass it.

Quoting emilysmom8:

If she failed a test she needs to pass than she should not be able to graduate, yes it does suck but thats life

emilysmom8
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Regardless of her knowing the material and not doing good on the test, if she has to pass the test to graduate and didnt pass than she should not be walking across the stage. As for retaking the test, why should she be able to retake it? When I was in school and failed a test I didnt have a oppertunity to retake it, and when she goes to college she wont be able to retake test she failed, in the real world she wont be able to retake things she messed up!

Quoting jennbec1:

She has passed all of the classes, so obviously she knows the material. She just didn't do great on the test. They just took the test a couple weeks ago and she just found out yesterday. They haven't left enough time for her to retake it and try to pass it.

Quoting emilysmom8:

Life's not the breath you take, but the moments that take your breath away

asdenyesmom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:26 PM
In Alabama its called the Exit exam. You take it once a semester starting 10th grade year until all parts are passed. You get to take more times your senior year, if needed. At my high-school, depending on how many parts you need to retake, they let you walk with your classmates and after graduation you can continue to retake the parts you need to pass. When you finally do, then you receive your diploma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jennbec1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Yeah, why not let her walk but hold her diploma until she passes it? That seems much better than just telling her she is not allowed to participate in the culmination of the past 13 years of her life.

Quoting asdenyesmom:

In Alabama its called the Exit exam. You take it once a semester starting 10th grade year until all parts are passed. You get to take more times your senior year, if needed. At my high-school, depending on how many parts you need to retake, they let you walk with your classmates and after graduation you can continue to retake the parts you need to pass. When you finally do, then you receive your diploma.

asdenyesmom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:29 PM
This is not just a regular test. It is like similar to SAT or ACT or the test you take on your major in college your senior. All of those you can take as many times as you want.

Quoting emilysmom8:

Regardless of her knowing the material and not doing good on the test, if she has to pass the test to graduate and didnt pass than she should not be walking across the stage. As for retaking the test, why should she be able to retake it? When I was in school and failed a test I didnt have a oppertunity to retake it, and when she goes to college she wont be able to retake test she failed, in the real world she wont be able to retake things she messed up!

Quoting jennbec1:

Quoting emilysmom8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:30 PM
I graduated in 1999, and we had to pass the 9th grade proficiency tests to graduate. Now it's they call it something different, but you take it every year until you pass it. It sucks, but that's how it works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)