Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Facts of Bullying

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:01 AM
  • 6 Replies

Bullying has no age limit - A 2004 study of 1025 college students reported that 24.7% had seen students bully other students/

Bullying happens all the time - ABC News found that in November 2007, 15% of high school students and 23% of elementary students reported one to three bullying incidents during that month.

It can happen to you - The National Youth Violence Prevention Resource Center in 2008 reports that almost 30% of US youths, grades 6 to 10, are estimated to be involved in bullying as either a bully or a target of bullying, or both.

Bullies need help - A 35 year longitudinal study by E. Eron, a psychologist at the University of Michigan, found that children named as bullies at age 8 by their classmates as adults had more court convictions, more anti-social behaviors, more mental health problems, and more alcoholism.

Have you ever been a victim of bullying?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:16 PM

There were some bullies in my schools growing up, but I wasn't the victim of anything that scarred me.

janitablue
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I was victim of bullying in fourth grade I lied and blame it on a other student.   When I look back a it I could not understand why lied.........

baby2zacharias
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:24 PM
I was picked on alot. but im ok now : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Quoting janitablue:

I was victim of bullying in fourth grade I lied and blame it on a other student.   When I look back a it I could not understand why lied.........

Bullying is rarely as one sided as people assume it is. Kids need to learn interact socially.

HaileysMom07180
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I worry about my daughter being a bully.  She already teases her friends when they come over.  She has gotten better though as we continue pointing out that its not nice.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Oh and here's my new blog:

http://learning-it-all.blogspot.com/

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I really think the way we are handling bullying right now is doing more harm than good. Bullying can get out of hand and adults need to step in. But when any altercation between kids results in an adult stepping in, they never learn how to take care of things themselves. Normal childhood teasing and arguing has become "bullying" and people feel like no kid should ever have to go through it. What happens when they are adults and there's nothing to stop people from being rude or just plain not liking them?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)