Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is it polite to be reasonably noisy in your yard?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:07 AM
  • 16 Replies

Summer is here and with no school I have the chance to sleep in.  Except there is a daycare in my backyard (the neighbors daycare is 20 feet from my bedroom window).  They go outside to for what I can only assume is scream therapy at 9am.  The old man up the street starts in on his leaf blower EVERY MORNING at 8am.

I cant go to bed early because another set of neighbors have parties every night and are getting drunk and rowdy until 3 am.  They really aren't loud enough to call the police, but loud enough to keep me awake with their music,and being outside.

I realize kids playing and yard work is reasonable but I try to keep my kids quiet and do not mow my lawn until 9am.  What do you do?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Well, the lawn mowing thing CAN be annoying but the noise ordinances around us say that lawn mowing can start at 7am.  I only know because a neighbor owned a lawn care business....and started getting things ready at 7am.

I think weekends might have been different.  We try not to do outside noise (lawn mowing) before 9am on the weekends. Snow blowing is different - that has to happen period.

Nighttime noise - when we have a function, the music gets turned down at 9pm in consideration of our neighbors - - but not off. It'll go off at 11pm - again, I believe the noise ordinance in the town has some dictates about the hours.

Most of how we operate is on common courtesy and how WE would feel if the noise level were outrageous at late hours.  We've lived in this house for 11 years and every single summer we have a huge (as in 100 people) BBQ.  We have never had one complaint from our neighbors nor one visit from the police

TDMumof3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Hearing noise til 3 am is a bit unacceptable and you should be able to sleep. The Kids screaming in the morning.. They are kids! If she has a daycare she's trying to make an honest living by helping other parents out during the summer.

jennbec1
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM

3am is too late for noise. I'd go talk to them about it and if they continued I would call the cops.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I don't have to worry about how much noise I make and when.  Hubby has been known to mow the lawn at 6:00 am.  My cousin drove the old Farmall home well after midnight last night, his place is just over the hill from mine and he comes over often on the tractor as it is quicker to go through the pasture than to take the winding dirt road.

In town though, I'd expect noise as early as 7 or 8 in the morning, but would hope that it would quite down between 11 and midnight at night.  I know that the road crews around here start work at 7 am.

DEEANNALAMB81
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Well personally I am with you we try not to do anything till at least after 9am, on rare occasions DH has done it at 8am but very rarely.

As for the 3am parties, in our city the city ordinance is 11pm any noise after that can be reported to the police as a disturbance. I would definitely exercise that right if I were you. They don't know they are being disruptive if you don't tell them. If it is loud enough to keep you up it is disruptive.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Quoting TDMumof3:

Hearing noise til 3 am is a bit unacceptable and you should be able to sleep. The Kids screaming in the morning.. They are kids! If she has a daycare she's trying to make an honest living by helping other parents out during the summer.

Honestly, I know kids will be kids. But what bothers me if they come into MY YARD and come on my porch and play with the toys there for my kids. Waking up myself and my boys that try to sleep in. That is not good business manners IMO. I love my neighbor like a sister, but she needs to set some ground rules with the kids she does allow outside in the morning.  And I have talked to her about it. And kids will be kids. So I may have to install a lock on my gate.

ladyvamp5489
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM

the law here is 8 am till 10 pm, midnight on weekends. Thats all yr.

beanielips
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM
I'm ok with noise at 7am... What I hate is noise at night... Anything last 11pm is rude. We have neighbors that are known to have the radio up well into the night. But I'll be honest, the next morning I might be mowing my lawn at 8am...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM

There are noise ordinances here. It's 10 pm to 7 am. Most of our neighbors are respectful during those hours. We have a school on our block, and so there aren't that many neighbors on our street. Right now, there is construction going on at the building next to the school, and the workers will wait until 7 am to start.

If all the neighbors respect the city's noise ordinances, then I have no issue with what noises happen.

janitablue
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I lived in heart of the city.  When I first moved I asked myself whyyyyyyyy. Now I am over it. The spring and summer time are the worst. There are fights, sirens, kids playing all wee hours in night, people fighting ........... I just close my eyes think of pleasant thoughts.  I prayed that my apartment I don't get hit by bullet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)