Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is a school bully just a tired kid? Story in the NY Times may get you thinking.

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:16 AM
  • 9 Replies

Ok, here's a new twist on what has become a reoccuring itch among parents this school year. Although not the only rationale for why kids bully, this one may be worth considering.

NY Times story here: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/02/the-school-bully-is-sleepy/

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Interesting article. I do agree that sleep is very important, and so I guess I'm not shocked that bullies and lack of sleep could have a correlation.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I do believe sleep can be a trigger. But I also think there is more to the bullies story at home too.

sweet-a-kins
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:13 AM
Bullies are usually mirroring what they see from their parents
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jess1231
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 10:24 AM
That's interesting, I agree it's alot of factors that goes into bullying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Quoting kmrtigger:

I do believe sleep can be a trigger. But I also think there is more to the bullies story at home too.

I agree.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I don't think the sleep deprivation causes the bullying. But I do think it increases impulsively and moodiness, both of which could contribute to bullying. 

Last year one of my best students took a sudden nose dive. His grades dropped, his behavior changed, he wasn't getting along with his classmates...you name it. I called mom in and she mentioned they had moved his bedtime back. They moved it back up and he went back to normal overnight. I was amazed at what a huge impact it had on him.

It really makes me wonder how many kids would struggle less if they just got more sleep.  

lovinmymason
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 4:18 PM
I absolutely agree! Kids repeat what they are taught or what they get away with.

Quoting kmrtigger:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmymason
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM
I know for certain with my son, his behavior directly correlates with his sleeping pattern.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2011 at 4:24 PM
Maxswolf... I totally agree. It doesn't cause bullying but it affects mood and impulse control.

I really see this with on of my boys. He must have at least 10hrs to function properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)