Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Many Times Can or Should a Child Repeat the Same School Year?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:23 AM
  • 14 Replies

I was just reading a news article about a celebrity custody battle and it was revealed that the child in question has repeated kindergarten twice already and may have to repeat it again if private tutors can't prepare him over the summer for first grade.   I found this very surprising.

It makes me wonder.  How many times can or should a child repeat the same grade level in school?   What factors would influence that - whether the child was traveling with parents, working in entertainment, truant, just didn't complete his assignments, etc.?  (We are not talking about a special needs child with an IEP.)

How many times would you allow your child to repeat the same grade level?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjimaging
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:30 AM
Personally, once, then I'd be changing schools and getting them tested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I have never heard of a benefit to repeat a grade more than 1 time.

I have sadly worked with kids who have been retained more than once, but not retained more than once in the SAME grade.

LoveMyLos
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:25 AM

this. if the kid has tobe held back more than once, there is something else going on.

Quoting mjimaging:

Jess1231
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:26 AM
I agree only once if not something else is wrong and they need to be evaluated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:36 AM

If it were up to me once in a school career would be the limit. The kids I teach in the higher grades that are struggling have almost always been retained in K or 1st. Retention doesn't always provide a long term solution.

I wonder why they're thinking about doing it twice. You mentioned traveling. If a child misses excessive amounts of school it's not reasonable to expect them to pass. If the parents aren't getting the child to school enough to meet the passing requirement someone needs to go after the parents. Retaining the kid isn't going to punish the parent. But sadly, schools really have no way to hold parents accountable when they drop the ball.

Clouise
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I would only allow my child to repeat once. Any more than that and I think they will have social problems. Plus, if they aren't getting it in two years - who says they will in three? Maybe at that point it is time to look into Special Education services instead. I would rather my child remain at grade level (or just a year behind) and get special help. I also think it's unfair for the other kids in the class to have kids in there who are three years older and huge. And finally, studies show that for every year a child repeats a grade their chance of ever graduating from high school decreases.

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Yes - and multiple retentions has MAJOR implictions for increasing drop out rates in high school. :(

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

If it were up to me once in a school career would be the limit. The kids I teach in the higher grades that are struggling have almost always been retained in K or 1st. Retention doesn't always provide a long term solution.

I wonder why they're thinking about doing it twice. You mentioned traveling. If a child misses excessive amounts of school it's not reasonable to expect them to pass. If the parents aren't getting the child to school enough to meet the passing requirement someone needs to go after the parents. Retaining the kid isn't going to punish the parent. But sadly, schools really have no way to hold parents accountable when they drop the ball.

Kimberlynn
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM
I Agree.

Quoting LoveMyLos:

this. if the kid has tobe held back more than once, there is something else going on.

Quoting mjimaging:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I wouldn't think you'd want to hold a child back more than once.  Can you imagine how damaging that can be to a child to be extrememly older than the other kids in class.  Also think about having an 8 year old in kindergarten.  That child would be more mature than the rest of the class and would most likely cause problems for the other students and the teacher.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM

And I just had a preK teacher tell me that if my son struggled in K he could just redo it. She was so happy that's what they did with her grandson because this year (#2 in K) he's doing great.

I look at it in the long term. So the second time in K he'd do great. But what about 3rd or 7th? It catches up with them in the long run more often than not.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Yes - and multiple retentions has MAJOR implictions for increasing drop out rates in high school. :(

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)