Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you see a kid getting spanked, you think:

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:29 AM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: If you see a kid getting spanked, you think:

Options:

Next time, listen to your momma!

A bad moment, but none of my business

That parent needs some counseling

Other thought...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 45

View Results

Spanking is pretty passé these days. Hitting your kid, especially when you’re angry, is a big no-no among many people. Have you ever seen a kid getting spanked or aggressively handled in public? What’s your view on that type of behavior?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:09 AM

We do not spank.  I tend to think parents who act that way out in public look like neanderthals. 

I have friends that do spank and that is their business but when I see a parent acting "aggressively" in public I am not a fan....

inmybizz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I'm not a spanker...I have no problems with others using that form of discipline inside the home or out..When i see a kid getting spanked i have no real thoughts about it, i just go on about my business..

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:15 AM

I spanked my kids in extreme situations when they were toddlers, more to get their attention than a punishment.  Like touching the stove repeatedly, running into the street while walking, etc.

If the child was very young, I'd think nothing of it.  However, if the child is older and able to reason and understand the parent better, then I'd think that the parent really needs to try some new techniques for disciplining their child.

Clouise
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM

We spank our children. Not in public though....humiliation is not part of our discipline. I'd rather see a parent spank a child than I would see a child misbehaving and bothering everyone while their parent does nothing. I'd also rather see a parent spank than here them yell and berate their child.....and go on and on with it.

DEEANNALAMB81
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM

We are not in the practice of spanking, not to say we have never, but there are some rowdy out of control kids at the store that in my opinion need to be spanked.

I know that is horrible to say but just the other day there was what looked like a 6 yr old not getting her way and she was just walking behind her mother screaming, crying and hitting her mom. I would have had to turn around and hit that kid if it were me. Just sayin.....

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Shrug - there are PLENTY of ways to discipline effectively without hitting...

Some parents just choose to do nothing - which is mind blowing...  I can not IMAGINE!

Quoting DEEANNALAMB81:

We are not in the practice of spanking, not to say we have never, but there are some rowdy out of control kids at the store that in my opinion need to be spanked.

I know that is horrible to say but just the other day there was what looked like a 6 yr old not getting her way and she was just walking behind her mother screaming, crying and hitting her mom. I would have had to turn around and hit that kid if it were me. Just sayin.....

O1j9a1n9n8a6t
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM

This is kinda were I am...I don't do it in public our punishment for public behavior is to leave and sit in the car until the rest of the family comes out. They hate leaving the store or restaurant so usually they behave...but at home: example is my son has a facination with knives...dunno where he got it he doesn't watch violent movies or is around anyone violent...anyway everytime he gets caught with a knife we do spank him...he like to stab people and if he were to hurt his brother or his sister he could kill them or himself...thats about as extreme as it gets....

Quoting steelcrazy:

I spanked my kids in extreme situations when they were toddlers, more to get their attention than a punishment.  Like touching the stove repeatedly, running into the street while walking, etc.

If the child was very young, I'd think nothing of it.  However, if the child is older and able to reason and understand the parent better, then I'd think that the parent really needs to try some new techniques for disciplining their child.

Moms_Angels1960
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I see kids in the stores That I think need spankied they are out of control. I was just talking to some other ladies at the hospital the other day & that is their opinions also. We have become a society of talking to our kids and our kids are out of control why behave when they know all they are going to do is get a talking to. We need to take control of our kids again. They aren't going to listen to just talking. I spanked my oldest kids alot they are all grown now they minded very well. While my 9 yr old minds pretty well she does more that I just talk to her about then spanking since spanking is a forbidden no no. I think my oldest minded a whole lot better getting the spankings and they knew I meant business.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I would really depend on the demeanor of the parent. I swatted Nate on the butt a couple of months ago because he ran out of a store when I wouldn't buy him candy. I wasn't angry or yelling. I followed him grabbed his arm and gave him a firm swat. I think it's the third one of his entire life. He needed to know right then and there that what he did could hurt him. I don't think any words could have the same impression the swat did. It's the only time I've spanked him in public.

If I saw a mom losing her temper freaking out hitting a child I would feel differently.

carmenclrk
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM

It reminds me that my kids need one too...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)