Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I love germs!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:29 AM
Max
  • 16 Replies

Well love is an exaggeration, but I'm not scared of germs. I think they are necessary to developing a strong immune system.  I don't use hand sanitizer, we just use soap and water. I don't worry about keeping the kids aways from friends or family who are sick. I use antibiotics as rarely as possible. I try to always see the pediatrician at our practice who is the best about not prescribing meds.

On the other hand, one of my best friends is a germaphobe. She goes home everyday to shower and change before picking up her toddler because she wants all the germs off of her. She makes him stay in the stroller or cart whenever they go out. Even at places like the zoo he can't walk around because he might touch things. She also runs to the doctor for meds every time he has a runny nose.

Guess which kids never get sick?

So are you a germ lover or germaphobe? 

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I am a germ lover and my kids are rarely sick.  The oldest hasn't had an anti-biotic in years and the youngest had one this Spring for Strep that got passed around his class.  Before that though, I don't remember his last anti-biotic either.

manda2391
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM
My thought is kids get dirty, kids get sick, their going to touch things they probably shouldn't, but that's what soap and water is for :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Soap and water all the way!!!!  I guess I'm in the minority, but hand sanitizer just grosses me out. At the petting zoo they have hand sanitizer next to all the pens plus one sink. I can't believe how many people squirt on a little hand sanitizer and go about their day without ever washing in the sink. Don't they realize the goat spit is still over their kids' hands?

Quoting manda2391:

My thought is kids get dirty, kids get sick, their going to touch things they probably shouldn't, but that's what soap and water is for :)

Jess1231
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:03 AM
I'm in the middle, I'm not overly protective. We have good immune systems, my son only got a few runny noses in school despite his classmates always being sick. Nit long ago I was sick and that was the first time in a few years. I didn't get meds for it just let it run it's course for youngest ds and I.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hepmommy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Germ lover here!

My aunt always used to say, "God made dirt, and dirt won't hurt!"

I have started buying the hand soap that does NOT have Triclosan in it.  And I rarely have hand sanitizer.  IF I have any at all, it's only used when I can't get to a sink for a soap and water scrub. 

jennbec1
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:39 AM

i struggle with it at work. But the population I work with warrants some concern about germs. If I have to use the same pen as a client, I make sure I use it before they do and then sanitize it immediately after they are out of sight. Many of them are clean, but then there are also the one who pick their nose in front of you or digs down their pants....among other things.

At home I am less concerned. If someone has a stomach bug, I will keep the kiddo away, but not too concerned about colds.

TipToe19
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM

We love germs, but then again my mother was a pediatric nurse and my childhood pediatrician was my daughter's pediatrician until last year. We rarely use antibacterial anything... rather we wash our hands thoroughly with regular soap and keep hands away from the face, to include eyes and mouth. DD has never had anything other than a stomach virus which was the result of a classmate being sick at school.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Ohh gross. I DO NOT let my kids TOUCH that hand sanitizer at the petting zoo. EWWW! I have a bottle in my purse and then we hit the nearest restroom for the real stuff(soap and water).

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Soap and water all the way!!!!  I guess I'm in the minority, but hand sanitizer just grosses me out. At the petting zoo they have hand sanitizer next to all the pens plus one sink. I can't believe how many people squirt on a little hand sanitizer and go about their day without ever washing in the sink. Don't they realize the goat spit is still over their kids' hands?

Quoting manda2391:

beanielips
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM
Soap and water is so much better! But I have to say, I had my germaphob moments when my kids were little.

My youngest and her respiratory problems dis warrant keeping her clear of sick people, but once we went a winter with no relapse, I eased up a lot.

If our bodies aren't exposed to the germs, they will never build up a resistance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM

**Raises hand!!!*** Shouting~ GERM LOVER over here!!!!

I am also a germ lover. And my ways have rubbed off on my germaphobe neighbor. She now allows her kids to get dirty while playing outside. She noticed how rarely my boys were sick compared to her kids. Now she is asking me how I do it, lol. So I told her I am not afraid of germs and let the kids be a kid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)