Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Old Maid

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:31 AM
  • 16 Replies

Nope - not the card game.

Do you know there is an "old maids'day"?  How rude! But I guess I was an "old maid" at some point. Didn't get married until I was 37.

How old were you when you got married?

Old Maid's Day

When : Always on  June 4th

Still haven't found "Mr. Right"? Yet, the years are beginning to pile up? Don't worry or fret. This day is for you. Old Maid's Day brings awareness to those of us who have not yet found (and caught) our soul mates.

Old Maid's Day exists to put into the spotlight all of the fair maidens who have yet to find their Prince Charming.

Ladies, celebrate Old Maids Day by getting out and getting noticed. Guys, open your eyes.... "Mrs. Right" may be right under your nose.

Origin of Old Maid Day:

The year was 1946 (or thereabouts). WWII was over, and millions of soldiers were returning home. There was a huge increase in marriages. Somewhere during this time, it was noted that there were plenty of Maidens waiting for the returning GIs. And, the ladies were not getting younger as they awaited the return of their GI.  The long war had disrupted and put on hold many relationships. And, many GIs did not return home. Dances and socials were held to bring together returning soldiers and the many available, unmarried ladies. It is from this occurrence that Old Maid's Day emerged.  

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Sorry, I wasn't an Old Maid.  I got married very young, at 23, only because my mother has a major cow over me moving in with my boy friend.  So I planned a huge over the top wedding.  Spent thousands upon thousands of dollars of my own money, I spared no expese.  Just so that I could live with my boy friend.  In my immaturity, I thought that I was showing her.  LMAO  Now that just sounds so stupid and I wonder why I even did it. 

Sixteen years later I'm still married and I still have a very out dated, very heavy, designer gown covered in crystals and pearls that I will never ever wear again so long as I live.

What was I thinking?!?!?!?!?

soymujer
by Mikki on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I was 20 the first time, that didn't work out and 29 the second time.

family in the van   Mom of four

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:13 PM

We were 22 when we got married.

periwinkle163
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I was married at 21 so I will never be an old maid, but I think the idea was a good one, to introduce the soldiers to eligible ladies.

MKSmom09
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I guess I am an old maid. I am nearly 30 years old and have NEVER been married

asdenyesmom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM
I got married at 21 and had been with him since 9th grade. No old maid here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:25 PM

36 - I haven't been married a year yet.

bupkie
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:23 PM

That totally sounds like how my Grandma met my grandpa....    I miss them so much... 

bupkie
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Oh, I didn't answer the question.... I was 22 and DH was 25... 

robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:33 PM
I was 21 when I got married
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)