Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

repeating kindergarten

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:28 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son has just completed his first year of kindergarten and he is really struggling with his reading, spelling, and writing sentences, so we choose for him to repeat kindergarten again and hopefully have a different teacher.  At times I wonder if we made the right decision b/c he seems to be getting some of those skills and then other days, like today, I know that first grade would be a huge struggle for him since in our school they have to read a story at the beginning of the year.  He is not even 6, so he will be a little bit older than some of the other kids but the problem that I am having with this is hearing all our friends that have kids that are the same age talking about them going to first grade and I know that he wont be going to first grade.  He seems ok with it b/c he wants the teacher that we have requested (she is a family member) but I think I am the only one having the issue.  Is this normal to feel this way?  Have others had the same issue?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kelly0213
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM

IMO you should have started him when he was six or turning six. Now, IDK why Im saying that because I fought tooth and nail to send my oldest DD at 5, but I was shot down.. Now Im sending my second DD at 5 and I will definitely send my son at 6..When is his birthday? It sounds like the school doesnt have a very good cut off set up for kindergarten. Our school is.. If youre 5, you go to Kindergarten (unless special circumstances)..Did he enter K at 4? My dds friend entered at four and she is really struggling. My dd was the oldest in her class and got bored..But they all did  their final speeches at graduation and  the one that was in middle DD's class couldnt even do hers, the others did great.

janitablue
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:50 PM

We want what is best for child.  My friend made her son repeat kindergarten. She felt that she made the right decision.  I know he is doing good in kindergarten. Maybe have a talk with your son school counselor and kindergarten teachers about how you feel. This might help give you the peace of mind that you need.

angelroberts
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:05 PM

We had to start him in kindergaten at 5 b/c he was in pre-k in the schools and they dont like them to repeat  pre-k unless they absoutly need to and he was passing pre-k. The other part of our decisison was that we have a family history of dylexia and this was one way that we might get them to notice that there an issue, unfornatly in the schools there are many steps before dyslexic testing or any other intervention and repeating is one of the determining factors.  I think that it is just me and being judged by others but I dont want to push him and him have more trouble in the next few years of school just like his father and I did. 

angelroberts
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM

also his birthday is in July, so he will be six this summer.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM

In my kids' school it is not uncommon to start at child at 6, especially if s/he will be a very young 5 when starting kinder. My DD was 4 when she started kinder and did struggle a little. But once she "got it" she soared and is 11 starting 7th grade in honors classes. Her BFF was started at 6 and just barely made it into the next grade for a couple of years. So ability/development is just as important as age. 

chcon
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:14 PM
If he needs to, then he needs to. Here for kindergarten a child must be 5 by Sept. 1. So my oldest was almost 6 when she started (Oct birthday) and my next will be as well (Nov birthday). But my other two will be younger (May and July birthdays). I don't like the idea of holding mine back but that is mostly because my kids are huge and I don't want them to stick out anymore than they already will (being tallest in the class). But if it is recommended that they do so, then we'll probably do it. The older two are fine being older. Hopefully the younger two will be as well. My oldest is just finishing kindergarten and she can read. Her oldest brother (5 in November) can read all her sight words (they're on the fridge) and can sound out other words, too. It all depends on the kid.
Oh and the oldest learned to read on kindergarten, BTW.
One of my friends has a daughter with an Aug birthday and they had her wait until she was 6 for kindergarten. Her issue was social, though, not academic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:03 PM

We held our middle son back in 2nd grade.  It was a hard decision but I know it was for the best.  We had our youngest repeat preschool because I knew he wasn't ready for kindergarten.  Sometimes I still wonder if he's ready for kindergarten but his preschool teacher this year says he is ready.  He'll be 6 in September.  Which was another reason why I didn't want him to go to kindergarten this last year because he was only 4 when school started.

family in the van   Mom of four

Jess1231
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM
I think it will be beneficial for him to repeat. Are you helping him at home on the side? We had to work with ds on his "sight words" extra because with so many kids he needed the extra one on one time. Maybe buy a few workbooks to keep his mind fresh over the summer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmymason
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:27 PM
Don't worry about what others say/think. We, as mothers, know what is best for our kids. Its so much better to hold him back now rather than later. How is the teacher you requested related to you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whirlagigsmom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM

You know your child better than anyone else. Do what you know is the best for him. Repeating kindergarten is not the worst thing in the world. I know. My son just repeated it and is finally getting a grasp of things he needs to have before more challenges in 1st grade. (And that was with 2x a week tutoring in kindergarden for sight words to build his reading skills.)

Also ask your School district to begin testing - regarding his academic needs. Dsylexia not withstanding, this information will help you to develop a program which will help him learn in the way that best works for him.

Thanks for being his advocate, and not simply going with the flow. I'm positive he will do just fine....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)