Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Routines & Rewards

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:13 PM
  • 3 Replies

I made a post a while back about getting my boys ready for kindergarten, and about how to get them responsible for themselves at home. I feel much more at ease now (thank you all who replied) and have decided to have them do pre-school work (I bought actual workbooks for them to do) at home and to put them on a routine similar to how things will be at school ... but there's some things I'd like more opinions on as far as the details of the plan.

I already know I'm going to get them up Monday-Friday at the time they will need to be up for school, and have them get dressed, eat breakfast, etc. But should I continue that through the weekends too? Or should I let weekends be weekends, as they would be during school?

Also, I have a 2 year daughter who will make our "studying" an issue ... she usually naps from around 1pm to 3 or 3:30 pm ... so I was thinking I would take that time to sit down with the boys to work in the workbooks. But is that enough time everyday? I planned for that to be a Monday-Friday thing as well. And I was also considering splitting them up to do their work, and give each of them 1 hour alone with me so I can help them. They haven't been registered for school yet (Dr. appt isn't until the 24th, they can't be registered until after that day) so I don't know if they will be in the same class or not. This is where I'm having my issue:

I know time alone to work will benefit them as far as my patience with them for teaching, the one-on-one help from me, and also to prepare in case they end up in different classes. But at the same time, when they're together they have serious trouble focusing - they're too busy fighting with each other over attention. So I don't know if I should teach them together so they can learn to work together in a learning environment. There's pros and cons either way, I just don't know which out weighs the other.

Also, I saw in my last post that someone suggested reward charts to teach them responsibility at home. How does that work exactly? I get the basic idea of course, but should it be a daily thing or a weekly thing? Or both (with small rewards on a daily basis and a big reward on the weekend if they manage to do their "chores" every day all week)? As of right now, I have a "daily reward system" for time outs. That system being if they make it ALL day (from wake-up to bed time) without going to time out, come bed time they get to have a movie night. They get to stay up late, pick a movie to watch on the big screen and eat popcorn. I know that won't work during school, since they won't be allowed to stay up late on school nights (and they won't be at home getting in trouble). Should I transfer that reward to the weekends as a weekly "I did all my chores" reward instead?

Thanks in advance for any help, I know this ended up being a long post. Lol.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:39 PM

BUMP!

Mamamanic
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:52 PM

From what I have seen, siblings are usually placed in their own classroom unless there is a small population of students. I think the fact that you are working with them is a great thing. Kindergarten is pretty much designed for low attention spans and most activities are designed to last 10-15 min at a time. Or there is rotations or something to keep children on task.

I usually start my kids on the back to school schedule about 3 weeks before school starts. I increase the wake up time by 1 hr each week and bedtime as well. During school my kids usually have to be in their rooms by 8:30 so they are asleep by 9. Weekends are always up in the air, at least fri/sat night.

Because of their age, I feel a daily reward should be earned and maybe try each daily earns them up to a bigger reward. Do something that you can do you know. A bike ride, extra book at bed, extra tv time. One M&M for each daily thing. Mostly my kids had things like put shoes away, put clothes in hamper, things like that.

Jess1231
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM
I would have them sit separately so they do not have a chance to argue or fight. Also as far as the class go I would want them to be separate so they can make their own friends and grow on their own. I've seen alot if parents who put their children in the same class and they tended to stick together and not develop social skills.

As far as a reward chart i have seen many different ways of doing it, I suggest looking on google for reward charts and see what you think would work best for them. What works best for one family may not for you also each boy may need something to fit them if they have different personalities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)