Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Practice for lunch time

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM
  • 3 Replies

I just thought of another question ...

My local elementary school works differently than the one I was in as a child. At my school kindergarten was only a half day, there were 6 kindergarten classes - 3 rooms, 6 teachers - one class in the morning, sending kids home at lunch and another class in the afternoon (different kids). So all the children ate lunch at home, either before or after school.

The school my boys will be in has only 2 kindergarten classes and 2 kindergarten teachers, and all the students attend a full day of school. I want to prepare them for eating lunch at school. Should I simply have them eat lunch at the same time every day? Or should I have them practice eating from their lunch boxes? They've never had to eat from a lunch box before, so I'm wondering if adding that practice at home will help them get used to opening their own sandwich bags, thermos or juice box, etc.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
chcon
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:27 PM

It certainly couldn't hurt for them to practice eating out of their lunch boxes (or lunch bags).  I did not do that with my daughter and she did just fine.  But she went to preschool and 4K before she started Kindergarten, so being away at school was not new.  If they're going to school for the first time, I don't see how anything you suggested would hurt.  You could call the school and see what time they'll be eating, and have some fun with lunch boxes.  :)  Maybe even go on a "picnic" lunch with their lunches packed.  Or other places.  Have some fun with it!

soymujer
by Mikki on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I would agree.

Quoting chcon:

It certainly couldn't hurt for them to practice eating out of their lunch boxes (or lunch bags).  I did not do that with my daughter and she did just fine.  But she went to preschool and 4K before she started Kindergarten, so being away at school was not new.  If they're going to school for the first time, I don't see how anything you suggested would hurt.  You could call the school and see what time they'll be eating, and have some fun with lunch boxes.  :)  Maybe even go on a "picnic" lunch with their lunches packed.  Or other places.  Have some fun with it!

family in the van   Mom of four

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I agree too. It wouldn't hurt. But they'll help him open stuff if he needs help. He'll figure it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)