Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it wrong to snoop on your kids?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM
  • 47 Replies

I read an interesting story on a website regarding a mom who goes through her teen daughter's room and cell phone checking for inappropriate texts, etc. I have and 11 year old and I'm curious if mothers out there would snoop on their kids as this mom did. 

Here is the link to the woman's post I was referring to:
http://www.peoplesinsight.com/articles/1...

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    Jess1231
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    No, I'm the parent and if I have the need to or want I will look.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    asdenyesmom
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    Snooping, no. I would tell them what I was going to do. It would also be random so they wouldn't decide to delete stuff or trash/hide things right before.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    DEEANNALAMB81
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:59 PM

My oldest will be 11 at the end of the month, she does have a cell phone and a laptop. I do check her texts and computer regularly I also have a GPS on her phone that I can check from my phone, she knows I pay the bill and everything she has is a privilege and can be taken away if abused. I don't consider it snooping because she knows I am going to do it. These are all just precautions, I completely trust her she is a good kid. She has never given me a reason not too, she is such a rule follower it isn't funny.

EXAMPLE: During football season we always toilet paper the football players houses, this is the first year she has stayed up late enough to do it. (I and other moms have always done it the years before) Anyway I literally had to get a note from the parents saying it was okay, because she refused to do it, she thought it was illegal.

I do also understand that she is not a teen yet and I am sure this will all change, but I am hoping that since she knows we are on top of everything it will detour any future mischievous actions.........Hoping anyway.

I am also banking on the fact that since I was such I wild kid, she will be the complete opposite fingers crossed

bsuku
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    I don't think of it as snooping. It is for their safety
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    jennbec1
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I fully intend on doing some 'snooping' when she gets older. She will know that I will be doing it.

Cynthia525
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I will be doing snooping of my own as well but I'm not sure I'll let my daughter know what I'm up to.

katiebug840204
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    If I have reason to believe they are doing something they shouldn't be then I will go look though their rooms. I won't so it just to do it tho.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    sandra1023
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Quoting DEEANNALAMB81:

My oldest will be 11 at the end of the month, she does have a cell phone and a laptop. I do check her texts and computer regularly I also have a GPS on her phone that I can check from my phone, she knows I pay the bill and everything she has is a privilege and can be taken away if abused. I don't consider it snooping because she knows I am going to do it. These are all just precautions, I completely trust her she is a good kid. She has never given me a reason not too, she is such a rule follower it isn't funny.

EXAMPLE: During football season we always toilet paper the football players houses, this is the first year she has stayed up late enough to do it. (I and other moms have always done it the years before) Anyway I literally had to get a note from the parents saying it was okay, because she refused to do it, she thought it was illegal.

I do also understand that she is not a teen yet and I am sure this will all change, but I am hoping that since she knows we are on top of everything it will detour any future mischievous actions.........Hoping anyway.

I am also banking on the fact that since I was such I wild kid, she will be the complete opposite fingers crossed

Your daughter sounds like my 12 year old son.  He is such a goody-goody it gets pretty comical.  lol  He literally will not watch America's Funniest Videos because so many of them involve people falling or getting mildly injured.  He says it isn't nice to laugh at other people when they have an accident. 

melissa632
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Quoting katiebug840204:

If I have reason to believe they are doing something they shouldn't be then I will go look though their rooms. I won't so it just to do it tho.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    MadreMas
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM

This :)

Quoting Jess1231:

No, I'm the parent and if I have the need to or want I will look.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)