Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids at bars?!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM
Max
  • 46 Replies

So tonight was my big date night. It was kind of a bust because we missed the movie and I spilled the baby's bottle on the way to my friends so we couldn't stay out long.

But anyway... we ended up having dinner and then walked across the street to have a beer in a bar. We get in there and there are two families with kids!  One was a group of about 10 adults with two babies. This one I could kind of see since they were too little to know. But there was another couple with 2 boys that looked around 8-10. The place served food, but the beer menu was longer than the food. The waitresses all dressed in miniskirts with their bellies showing. There was loud music playing. It sure felt like a bar, not a restaurant. 

We were in a shopping center with several restaurants that are family friendly. For the life of my I cannot imagine why they would bring their kids in there.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Is it in a small plaza?  Our local bar serves food and we do go for wing night pretty often.  The kids always go with us.  IDK, not really a big deal to me to take the boys to the local bar on wing night. 

When I was a kid, younger than 10, I'd go to the bar with my dad and actually sit at the bar and have a Coke and a Hershey bar while he had a beer or two.  Now that is a bit much IMO.

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Wow - that is definitely an "interesting" choice for a family....

Man - sorry about the spilled milk AND missing the movie - I was excited to get a review of it from you!  :)

MamaSulli2005
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM

I don't take my kids into places like that unless it's like 5 or 6 on a weeknight. However growing up my brothers and i were always hanging out at the neighborhood bar until like 9 o'clock with my dad.

Cindy18
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Was it before 9pm? Most bars let in kids before 9pm. Is it right? IDK, I'm not a bar person so I wouldn't do it.

It was in a mall so I don't know if I would call it a real bar?

TipToe19
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:54 PM

That is a pet peeve of mine. A bar environment is not appropriate for children, especially in the evening. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Quoting Cindy18:

Was it before 9pm? Most bars let in kids before 9pm. Is it right? IDK, I'm not a bar person so I wouldn't do it.

It was in a mall so I don't know if I would call it a real bar?

It was around 7. It's a plaze like a strip mall, not a mall mall. I guess one of my big issues was the waitresses were pretty scantily clad. That to me just screams, "Not kid friendly!" It has all high top tables and a huge bar. It felt like a real bar to me, but in all fairness I haven't spent much time in bars in a long time.

There are several other restaurants in the plaza that serve alcohol and have a more extensive menu and less of a bar atmosphere. So I just can't fathom why a family would choose that place to eat.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Wow - that is definitely an "interesting" choice for a family....

Man - sorry about the spilled milk AND missing the movie - I was excited to get a review of it from you!  :)

It's our first night out in months. Oh well, we'll have to have a redo in a couple of weeks.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:01 PM

In all honesty, most bars are family friendly during the dinner hour.  They make decent money from food and around here if so much of your profits are from food then you are considered a bar/restaurant, no matter how big or small the menu is.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I wouldn't do it and parents can't get upsett if their kids hear bad words or see things that are inapproriate

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Have you been to a bar during the dinner hour?  We're not talking 10:00 at night here.  I highly doubt that the waitresses were taking off their clothes while dancing on poles while men screamed about what they wanted to do to them.  I'm guessing that you'd find couples and families at the tables having dinner and talking about their day.  There may be a person or two at the bar having a drink after work as well.  Nothing upsetting IMO.

Quoting SweetPea2004:

I wouldn't do it and parents can't get upsett if their kids hear bad words or see things that are inapproriate

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)