• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Head lice and a haircut.

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:04 PM
  • 22 Replies

My sister was telling me about what she saw while getting a haircut the other day.

A mom with a little girl came in. The little girl had gorgeous, long, thick hair. The mom said that the little wanted it short, above her shoulders short. So they banned it off to give to Locks for Love. The hairdresser started to cut and when she was trimming it up, she suddenly stopped and told the mom she couldn't cut it anymore. The mom couldn't understand why. When she left, the hairdresser was talking and it turns out the little girl had head lice and the mom knew about it. She just didn't want to deal with it in all that hair. The hairdresser had to clean all her combs and scissors and chair AND of course they had to just throw all that hair away instead of donating it.

What are your thoughts on this situation?

Cindycoffee

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firefly63701
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:06 PM

dirty thing for the mom to do.  

jazzy020106
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:06 PM
How does she know the mom knew about it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM

she should have dealt with the lice at home, believe me I know how not fun it is

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:08 PM

I wish I was shocked, but I've dealt with lice for years at school. I've actually been told by parents they don't hurt anything so it's no big deal. Translate- I'm not pulling the nits out of my kids head so get over it.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:09 PM

WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE?!?!?!?!?

I would be livid if I was that hair dresser.  In all honesty if mom didn't want to deal with treating all of that hair, then she should have hacked it off at home, treated what hair was left and then got the hair shaped up after getting rid of all of the lice and nits.

Cindy18
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Quoting jazzy020106:

How does she know the mom knew about it?

Not sure because I wasn't there but I'm under the impression that it was pretty bad and the mom wasn't shocked about it.

Cindy18
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE?!?!?!?!?

I would be livid if I was that hair dresser.  In all honesty if mom didn't want to deal with treating all of that hair, then she should have hacked it off at home, treated what hair was left and then got the hair shaped up after getting rid of all of the lice and nits.

This was my exact reaction. I can understand not wanting to deal with all that hair but for god's sake deal with it at home!!!!!!!!

Nkrs
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I don't have personal experience with head lice, but I have heard that it is awful to deal with, and get rid of once you have it.  I work in schools, and have walked children to the nurse who have had them, and they have told me personally that lice cannot jump from head to head.  You can only catch them if you put your head on something someone with lice has, a hat or pillow for instance.  I do not know what policy is at a hair salon, but I really don't understand why they couldn't continue with the hair cut, so the little girl wouldn't feel bad, and clean up after she left, what difference would it have made? They already had her in the chair and had cut off the pony tail, right?  Maybe they had been dealing with it for a while, and the mom was at her wits end...either way, it's a sad situation.

CrazedMomof2
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:50 PM
Yuck yuck yuck. We've been lucky so far but I hear it's no fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kerijeanbean
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:23 AM

I want to smack someone like that.  Actually the hairdresser should have thrown away all her equipment and thoroughly sanitized her whole area.  If another customer gets lice because of this and can prove where it came from the health department can shut down the hair salon.  It is down right careless and rude.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)