Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Self-checkouts at grocery stores

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:13 PM
  • 22 Replies

Do you use it?  What do you think of them?  What if they didn't have it?

I saw an article on msnbc.com that Albertsons (and stores under them) will eliminate the self-checkout to get more human interaction. 

What do you think of this?

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:15 PM

I use the self-check out often....especially when i have 10 items or less.  I do like the interaction with the employees of the store during checkout.  Most of the time time they are really friendly and I have fun, short conversations with them BUT when i just want to get in and out....self-checkout is the way to go.  I don't want to stand behind someone with a cart full of food when i have 5-10 iteams.  Many times the 15 items or less isn't open.

though I can see it, I hope they leave it up for those quick in and out moments.

jillbailey26
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I use them when I don't have a whole lot of items.  I absolutely love them, lol.  I wear headphones and listen to music when I go shopping and I can just continue to listen to music and check myself out too.  

I'd hate it if our stores took them out.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

natesmom1228
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I love them. They are quick and easy to use. I will go to the regular cashier if there the line is to long at the self ones.

I just like to get in and out.

lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I don't use it..

MrsChairez
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:21 PM
I prefer it! I would rather do it myself than go in line where th he cashiers always act like they would rather be anywhere else!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsNewman
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM

i <3 them! my children at like turds in the check - out lane. they'v got all that candy and crap sitting there and of course kids being kids they go crazy! at our self check outs, that stuff isn't there, and they can actually help me so it keeps them busy and under controle. i would be very sad to see them taken away.

mom2queenie2004
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I never use them. I like people.

birdiemom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:32 PM
I hate them. I'd rather check out with a person
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM

My local grocery store doesn't have them.  They have a 10 item or less line always open though, usually 2 during peak shopping times.

I have used them from time to time at Lowes and Ikea and don't have a problem using them, but wouldn't want to have to do a large shopping order with one since they are a bit more time consuming.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I like them when I have a small number of items.  They are nice to get through quickly and so I don't have to feel like I am waiting on someone else.

Here's my complaint about them though.  I worked my way through college as a cashier at Target (also did customer service but that's a whole 'nother experience).  I got very good at very quickly scanning and bagging items simultaneously.  But these self-checkouts, they make you scan one item, then you have to bag, then the computer has to recognize that you bagged it before you can scan the next item.  Horrendously annoying to me.  I just want to scan and bag at my speed, not the computer's speed.  Now if I could just get behind one of the regular registers and do it myself like I did when I was in college, that would be perfect.  Because it always seems to me that when I got to a regular checkout I always get the cashier who is the absolute slowest person in the world at checking people out.  That's when I am really, really tempted to jump behind the counter and do their job for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)