Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Supplies

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:29 PM
Max
  • 55 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think about the amount of supplies teachers ask for?

Options:

Just Right

Too Much

I'd be happy to give more!

Other- cause you know there always is!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 70

View Results

Wondering how everyone feels about teachers asking for supplies...

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Our school doesn't send out supply lists since the PTA covers the cost of school supplies for every student.  Some teachers do have things that they ask for parents to bring in if they want to help contribute things to the classroom.  Most have a box, basket, or container of some sort with items written on strips of paper for parents to pick from.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:33 PM

How does your PTA fund that.

I know you know since you are the PTO queen. :)

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:33 PM

fund that?

RyansMom001
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:33 PM

They need supplies, I think they try to ask for reasonable things.  It's gets expensive because I have three kids but I want my kids to have the supplies so I don't mind buying them. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

How does your PTA fund that.

I know you know since you are the PTO queen. :)

Just major fund raising through out the year.  I believe that some may come from grants, but I can't be 100% sure since I don't have my hand in the grants committee.  Most of the supplies we purchase through the company that the school uses for office supplies, but we get some stuff from retailers like Target and Walmart.  It's a blast going to the store to pick up 600 pencil boxes, we call ahead so that they can have the huge quantity ready for us moms to pick up.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I haven't voted because I haven't seen the list yet.  I'll get back with ya on that.

family in the van   Mom of four

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:11 PM

I haven't seen the list yet.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:23 PM

So far, i don't think it has been too much.  It would be nice for the school to provide those (like when we were kids) but with everything going on, I'm fine with it. 

What I liked about her 1st grade teacher is that she is a self-admitted hoarder! haha.  She said she kept everything from the year before and if the crayons or pencils still worked, she didn't ask parents to get it for the children.  Every year she looked at what could be used and what couldn't so for the year my daughter was there, we never had to pay for any supplies except for anything she needed at home.

Her 2nd grade teacher didn't ask for a lot either because she had a lot of things that the tables (group in 4 or 5) shared.

We'll see what it looks like this year for 3rd grade. 

Now, I have NO idea what it is going to look like for kindergarten for my twins!  Double trouble

asdenyesmom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:26 PM
I chose other because my kids have been to 4 elementary schools. The lists have ranged from nothing to excessive. I feel that buying stuff like copier paper and sharpies should be the teacher's responsibility.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArmyWife0105
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:32 PM

The list at my girls school is shorter this year. They cut out parents buying crayons, scissors, glue, and a few other things. It wouldn't have bothered me if they had left it the same. I have been picking up supplies since the end of the school year (my dd's school sent home a list). It has made it a lot easier to pick up a few things every other week than trying to get it at the last minute. Especially since I have both of my girls in school this year.

I am a pro life, non ERF & CIO, spanking (when needed), co-sleeping (when needed), non breast feeding (my girls didn't want to) ,army wife, and mother of 2 beautiful little girls.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)