Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who home schools?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:39 PM
  • 5 Replies
Im very interested in home schooling my son. I want to know more about the cyber charter schooling. What age should he start? Is 6 too young?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mom2queenie2004
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 2:08 AM

I don't know much about the cyber schools. Some states provide them for free, they are still considered to be part of the public school system, if that matters to you. If your state does not provide it for free, the cyber schools I am familiar with can get expensive.

As for his age, each kid is different. Check you state laws on age requirements and go from there. In the my state you can hold off schooling until age 7. I know a few kids that really benefit from waiting the extra year for formal schooling, other kids do really well starting earlier.

JMDmommy
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 6:54 AM
My son has done a christian preschool since age 3 and did extreme well with kindergarten. I travel a lot and it was a huge problem last year

Quoting mom2queenie2004:

I don't know much about the cyber schools. Some states provide them for free, they are still considered to be part of the public school system, if that matters to you. If your state does not provide it for free, the cyber schools I am familiar with can get expensive.

As for his age, each kid is different. Check you state laws on age requirements and go from there. In the my state you can hold off schooling until age 7. I know a few kids that really benefit from waiting the extra year for formal schooling, other kids do really well starting earlier.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Morrigan333
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 7:57 AM

I don't know much about charter cyber schools, but parts of Va. have PUBLIC charter cyber schools for free. You have to live in a certain school district though.  What state and public school district are you in? I'll look in to it for you.  My dd(10) homeschools through Time4Learning.com.   She loves it! She can go at her own pace (which is great since she's adhd and it takes her way longer than her former classmates).   You can go one grade up or one grade down depending on your needs.Like my dd was in 4th, but doing some 3rd gr math yet.  This fall she'll be 5th gr, doing left over 4th gr math that hasn't been finished yet,then she'll move upto the current 5th gr level math. It's great you can switch it up!  They have a special going on now sign up by July 25th get month of July for just $4.99. July only. New subscribers only!

JMDmommy
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:21 AM
My son is ADHD as well and hes ok when on MEDS (which I hate) but when not on MEDS he cannot focus n gets a lot of trouble.
We live in PA the Chambersburg school district

Quoting Morrigan333:

I don't know much about charter cyber schools, but parts of Va. have PUBLIC charter cyber schools for free. You have to live in a certain school district though.  What state and public school district are you in? I'll look in to it for you.  My dd(10) homeschools through Time4Learning.com.   She loves it! She can go at her own pace (which is great since she's adhd and it takes her way longer than her former classmates).   You can go one grade up or one grade down depending on your needs.Like my dd was in 4th, but doing some 3rd gr math yet.  This fall she'll be 5th gr, doing left over 4th gr math that hasn't been finished yet,then she'll move upto the current 5th gr level math. It's great you can switch it up!  They have a special going on now sign up by July 25th get month of July for just $4.99. July only. New subscribers only!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I have been homeschooling for about 5 years now.  I have never used cyber charter school so I can't help you there.  I started my boys in kindergarten around 5.  He is still young so follow his lead.  He will let you know when he is not ready for something.  My kids have varied interested that I like to follow so doing my own curriculum is a must.  I would join happy homeschoolers.  I know that are a lot of women on there that are doing cyber schools.  Good luck. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)