Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 year old boy not interested in coloring, writting, anything educational

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:48 PM
  • 20 Replies

first off i would like to say hello. But i have a few questions.

I know that you shouldnt compare your kids to other kids as far as developmentally but i cant help but notice that my son compared to my step daughter seems way behind on an educational level. So my step daugher has a late birthday, so she is entering kindergarten on a 1st grade level. her penmanship is emaculate, she knows all her colors, alphabets, numbers, spanish. on the other hand my son knows this, but he wont write and not interesed in writting. i tried to work with him he lacks interest. he does not like to color, doesnot want to write, he will partake in the reading of a bed time story. I have bought various kindergarten workbooks, he does not want to trace any of them. My step daugher does not live with us. But im wondering, did i drop the ball when it came to him on an educational level? will my kid be like the kid in kindergarten delayed because of me. I know this is such a lame excuse. But i had no idea that i should be working with him on that kind of level. i was too busy trying to make sure he was up to par on a social level, and making sure his behavior skills were up to par.

by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 10, 2011 at 6:31 PM

You're right when you say you shouldn't compare his to his step sister. Kids are different and that doesn't have anything to do with anything you've done.

Boys and girls learn differently. Most girls are more interested in academics at that age so they tend to be more advanced. Stepsister performing better right now doesn't mean anything about how they will do in the long run.

Boys tend to learn more through active learning than things like worksheets. If you push learning on him and try to force him to sit and do "school work" you could do more harm than good. If he starts school with a bad attitude about learning it will makes things more difficult.

If you've been working on his behavior and social skills you've been helping prepare for school. His teacher will cover the academic skills. I bet he'll be just fine. Especially since you say he knows it, he just doesn't want to do it. It's funny how willing kids are to do things when the person asking them to isn't mom.

Good luck and let us know how the school year goes :)

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jul. 10, 2011 at 6:36 PM
I agree with all of this. Good luck!! :)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

You're right when you say you shouldn't compare his to his step sister. Kids are different and that doesn't have anything to do with anything you've done.

Boys and girls learn differently. Most girls are more interested in academics at that age so they tend to be more advanced. Stepsister performing better right now doesn't mean anything about how they will do in the long run.

Boys tend to learn more through active learning than things like worksheets. If you push learning on him and try to force him to sit and do "school work" you could do more harm than good. If he starts school with a bad attitude about learning it will makes things more difficult.

If you've been working on his behavior and social skills you've been helping prepare for school. His teacher will cover the academic skills. I bet he'll be just fine. Especially since you say he knows it, he just doesn't want to do it. It's funny how willing kids are to do things when the person asking them to isn't mom.

Good luck and let us know how the school year goes :)

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM

My son doesn't like coloring never has- I don't think he ever will, it drove his teacher nuts last year.

His doctor told me Children naturally gravitate toward reading at around 7. My son went from a very poor reader to a great reader in a couple months around his 7th b-day. Before that he would want me to read the book a couple times and memerize it but not really read them ( I thought that was cleaver of him lol)

Honestly in the elementary years all I worry about is that he's improving and not going backwards.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I too agree with Wolfsuit.
I never did much "ditto" or "workbook" wise with my boys.... we managed to incorporate it in "fun" stuff.
$ shave cream on the table to "write" letters in
counting fruit loops
the M&M books are great.... one of my sons got two of them and a big bag of M&M's from my BFF...and he learned how to count with that....

mommytam
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 6:58 PM
My son is the same way, and I have no clue what to do, but he is improving and that is all I worry about, I know my son is a bit behind but his kindergarden teacher said he was in the middle for his class, so my son is average and that all I ever was,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 10, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I too agree with Wolfsuit.
I never did much "ditto" or "workbook" wise with my boys.... we managed to incorporate it in "fun" stuff.
$ shave cream on the table to "write" letters in
counting fruit loops
the M&M books are great.... one of my sons got two of them and a big bag of M&M's from my BFF...and he learned how to count with that....

Thanks for reminding me about the shaving cream! I'm doing that with mine ASAP. He'll love it.

janitablue
by Janita on Jul. 10, 2011 at 7:15 PM

My son when he was at that age did not care to color.  I agreed with everyone. My son enjoy playing games on the computer. I would look for fun activities that he can play but also learn from.

Belovedmoonpixi
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I don't know in the US, but in my country, the idea of Kindergarten is to teach your child those sorts of things and get them ready for the next grade (which is called preparatoria, and THEN they go to first grade)... I wouldn't worry too much.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Definitely don't compare your son to your stepdaughter.... it's not fair

secondly... find things he is interested and work activities into them.

if he is into nature, have him find leaves, bugs, etc. take pictures of the bugs, and make a alphabet book out of nature items. Have him write the Letters and names of everything. 

You have to find something he is interested in. If you don't it's going to be difficult to get him up to par like he should or you feel he should be.

~*~Anna~*~
Savings Momma & Coupon Enthusiast

jaderica
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:04 PM

As everyone else has said, don't sweat it. Boys in general don't care about that stuff at that age, and only a few actually develop an enjoyment of it, but most will become more willing to do it more once they get into a setting where everyone is doing it and someone other than mom is directing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)