Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Apologizing for someone else's behavior?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:02 PM
  • 15 Replies

Have you ever felt the need to apologize to someone for another persons behavior?

Kiliki had her swim lesson tonight. This dad walks in and the very first words out of his mouth are full of attitude. He bitches to the gate guard first then moves on to one of the high school aged instructors. He is bitching at this kid for nearly 10 minutes about stuff this kid has no control over. Then he gets on the phone with who I assume was his wife and is being nasty to her too. I just stood there staring, trying to decide if I should go get him away from this poor kid. He was pretty agitated and I wasn't sure what would happen if I got involved.

After the lesson I went up to the kid and was like I am so sorry you had to deal with that. I was embarrassed by this guys behavior. He is supposed to be a grown man and he's going off on a kid like that. I texted hubby and he was gonna come down, but the guy had backed off at that point and they got on with the lessons.

by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Fortunately, the only time I've ever had to apologize for someone else's behavior was when it was my kids before they could talk and apologize for themselves.

That was very sweet of you to apologize for the teen having to put up w/ that behavior.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Last summer we were at the splash park at the zoo and it was packed. They had several high school/ college age kids monitoring it- letting kids in and out, making sure parents were there, keeping it under capacity.

There was a boy, 7-8 years old, manically running around screaming. I watched them warn him to stop, he shrugged and continued. So one of the zoo employees told him he had to leave the splash park.

That's when his mom decided to step in. Apparently she had been right there watching her son run around screaming plowing down little kids and did nothing. But now that he was being reprimanded she decided to take action. She told off the zoo employee. No one was going to tell her child what he was and was not allowed to do in a public place.

The girl, maybe 18 tops, kept her composure and calmly told the mother he had to comply with the rules because it was a safety issue. The mom continued bitching her out, saying all the kids were doing what her son was. That was clearly untrue. The mom informed the girl she'd be going to her manager and she shouldn't expect to still have a job that afternoon.

I walked up while the mom was right there and offered to tell the manager what I'd seen. I told the girl there is no job worse than supervising kids when their own parents are there because some people believe their children can do no wrong.

The girl laughed it off and said it happens every day. She did thank me or sticking up for her.

jennbec1
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I emailed the pool manager so she knows what her employee had to go thru. Personally, I hope they ban the dad from the pool.  

bupkie
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Way to go ladies!!!   I've often bit my tongue... because... well.... when I get ticked... it's just better for me to keep my composure until after things have settled down....    Unless someone is visibly upset afterwords... - well... That's when I'd say something.       

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I've learned over the years to keep my big mouth shut because 9 times out of 10 once I get going I have a hard time letting up and that isn't pretty.  People are assholes and I have a major issue that think that they are above the rules or that the rules don't apply to them and their children.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM

That was so nice of you to do.

I don't know if I have done that like that in public. Now when I worked with developmentally disabled adults, I apologized a lot for some of the things they would do or say in public. They just didn't know any better and I would try to correct it and help them understand what was socially appropriate.

janitablue
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Kudos ladies you rock. I have never been in that situation. I hate confrontation I wonder if I would done what you  did.

Jess1231
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 11:30 PM
That poor child! How embarrassing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asdenyesmom
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:02 AM
I used to have to apologize to kids for a co-worker. The kids thought that she was mean and always yelling at them, but she wasn't. She is Russian, therefore comes off a little strong.

Then I would turn around and apologize to the co-worker for the kids not liking her and explain to her how they felt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I've learned over the years to keep my big mouth shut because 9 times out of 10 once I get going I have a hard time letting up and that isn't pretty.  People are assholes and I have a major issue that think that they are above the rules or that the rules don't apply to them and their children.

That is how I am. Kinda one of the MAIN reasons I dealt with one of DF's friend's wife the way I had for nearly 11yrs. Thank goodness I decided I had enough and spoke up. Now I don't have to deal with her.

But Jenn, I have had to apologize before. And it was over how my soon to be FIL acted numerous times in front of friends. He is the caption of Assholes.

And Jenn I am so proud of how you stood up for that girl and the email you sent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)