Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School bus controversy

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2007 at 12:13 PM
  • 20 Replies
OK, my little one is is pre k and rides the bus to and from school.  A couple months ago, he came home saying someone was bothering him.  I called the bus driver and told her that Jaiden was getting hit on the bus and that a Kindergardener, was taking his hat.

Not too much was done, so I asked that mine sit in the front of the bus until the problem was worked out.  Not that I felt that was really fair, shouldn't the other kid be the one being punished???

Anyway, today I am getting my little boy off the bus (mind you it is now almost 3 months later) and the driver says, the teacher told me today the 2 pre k's have to sit up front from now on.  I asked why and she says Jaiden (my boy) complained that a boy  use to bother him on the bus, and now both pre k's have to sit up front?????? 

OK, now the K is the one being mean and the little ones are being punished for speaking up.  Is this right, I just don't think we are teaching the right lesson here.  Maybe it is me?  Do I speak up?  My boy is so sad!
by on Feb. 7, 2007 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alohamalu
by on Feb. 7, 2007 at 1:01 PM
Same type of thing happened to my son.  He ended up seating up front for most of his kinder year.  I don't get it either - he felt like he was being punished by having to sit up front when he was the one who didn't do anything wrong.
We told our little guy that it stinks but it's a rule.  At least your Jaiden (great name!) isn't alone and has other kids in pre-k with him up front.  It's a safer place to be too for the littler kids if ever there were a need to get off the bus quickly..
Hope everything smooths out for you! 
~Marina
sweetheart4171
by on Feb. 7, 2007 at 1:34 PM
My son doesn't ride the bus for this purpose. In the  morning it's all the kids, Pre-K through 5th and I think he's just far too young to ride the bus with all the big kids, plus it doesn't help that I worry all the time too.  I know with our buses they sit the Pre-K children up front anyway.  That child should be punished it's not fair that the children not causing the problem have to pay for it.  It aggravates me to no end when I hear my 3rd grader complain that so and so did this so now we ALL can't do this.  How is that teaching the "problem" child anything when the class or others are basically punished as well.  I just don't get it!!
supermom74
by on Feb. 8, 2007 at 2:38 PM
do you have cameras on your buses? We do and it cuts down on the bullying big time. Nobody will try it or they get suspended for 3 days.
powerof4
by on Feb. 9, 2007 at 10:53 AM
Welcome to the group!

If I can just ad my take on this... I don't think that your son is being punished at all... more like better protected.

In our school district, all PreK and K and some 1st grades sit up front. The reason our drivers do this is so that they can see them better, keep them from the older kids (grades 3 and up) because those kids talk differently, act differently and your child could come home saying something he heard a 5th grader say that would make your jaw drop, or a word. Not to mention they can see your children better. Let's face it, the little ones are just that... little. They are hard to see, sometimes hard to hear and the drivers may not see the teasing or hittting that goes on if its 4 rows back or more. Plus the little ones might fall asleep... if your child fell asleep and missed his stop and was sitiing towards the back of the bus that driver might not be able to see them and skip right past the house and not notice until later.  (my daughter used to fall asleep every day on the way home.

I cant believe more disricts dont require that the yonger grades dont sit up front. It's really a safer place for them to be when they are put into the general population of the school. They are young, impressionable and may be too scared to speak up or come up to the front if someone is being mean or hurting them. If the driver is closer to them, those problems can most often be eliminated. 

I will give you another example, my son started K this year and somehow an older boy got sat with my son (boy was 5th grade, my oldest son, also 5th knows him).  Anyway, my K son didnt know to take off his backpack and hold it on his lap while sitting, and so he kept leaning forward... the older boy kept pushing him and telling him to sit back, my son didnt feel comfortable if he did that and so this older boy kept shoving him. My son (having older siblings) finally started to hit and shove back. Had he been sitting closer the driver would ahave noticed this but did not and so my son got off the bus crying cause he was too scared to get up and tell the driver. I stepped in and told the driver and the older boy got moved further back where he belonged.

Another thing to consider and ask is how many kids are on that bus to begin with (as was also part of the problem where my K son was concerned) the driver had far too many children on that route. My kids got moved to another bus that had a similar route (both buses came past our house).

I know you feel your child is being punished but really he isn't. I firmly believe that he is better off in the front where the driver can keep better eye on them. They're short... their heads barely (if at all) graze the tops of the seats, in most cases they aren't seen at all.  I would explain to your son that the driver can see him better and hear him better if he has a problem, that this is for his safety.

Good luck, and I'm sorry you feel your son is being punished.
luvmyboys6
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
i don't what state or city you lived in. but my freind was a bus driver and she told me that the little ones have to sit up front. i live in hurst, texas. i would prefer my son to sit up front so the driver knows he is there and knows if someone is someone is picking on him.
SouthernSAHM
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 11:49 AM
My two also ride the bus(kindergartener and 2nd grade. On all of our school buses the seats are assigned. Youngest to oldest,front to back. So Kindergarten are in the front,then first grade, second grade and so on. You can move forward to another seat with permission but not back. No eating or drinking and only very low whisper talking. We have never had any incidents on our buses using this system. A piece of paper is posted on the wall beside each seat with the names of who sits there. There are no exceptions.
If any child misbehaves  twice, they are off the bus for a week.
If they get in trouble again, they are off for a month
THird time they are off permanently.
Believe me , when a parent had to take their former bus rider to school for a week for more and pick them up, it gets the message across.
sexytrini1
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I can understand your frustration, this is the reason why i choose not to have my son ride the school bus when he started kindergarten.    Fortunately for me i'm not working so i drive him to and from school every day.  I watch the kids on the school bus in the morning and the things that i see happening on the bus is ridiculous.  I want my son to be relax and comfortable when he gets into the class room to learn for the day.  I don't want him to be unhappy in school, he alread does not like going to school at times.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Young kids sit up front here. Even when I was in school knd had to sit in the front seats, 1-3rd had to be row 10 or closer, 4-6 had to be behind row 10 with only 6th in the back seat.
So I guess I don't see the big deal...
funny_girl3
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Our district's policy is that the younger kids sit up front, older kids in the back.  I think it's a good policy and I would just explain to your son that it's a new rule.  The bus driver is responsible for so many kids that it can be hard to maintain discipline, remember the driver has to concentrate on driving too.

familyof5now
by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Our school district sits kids by grades with kindergarten in front so that the big kids don't bother the younger kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)