Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have create it a monster

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM
  • 15 Replies

Why is it everytime we go out it is all about him. Mommie buy me this and buy me that. I think I lost my backbone when I gave birth to him. lol

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:32 AM

All kids do it. The trick is to be able to say no sometimes. There are times that I do buy my son a little something, but not every time we walk out the door.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Quoting natesmom1228:

All kids do it. The trick is to be able to say no sometimes. There are times that I do buy my son a little something, but not every time we walk out the door.

hollydaze1974
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I solved that problem by making it clear that we were going in to get ______ and nothing else. And the first whine I heard would cause him to not get anything for the next three stores... not even gum. I would say this before we got out of the car. Worked wonders.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Start giving your son a set allowance. Make him choose what's important to him with the spending money he has, and do not supplement that. If he wants a new video game, make him save up his allowance. It's a great life lesson, and it gets rid of them asking you to buy things all the time.

cawmom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM

My kids have NEVER asked for anything when we go shopping

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Quoting hollydaze1974:

I solved that problem by making it clear that we were going in to get ______ and nothing else. And the first whine I heard would cause him to not get anything for the next three stores... not even gum. I would say this before we got out of the car. Worked wonders.

haha...I preface any trips into the store as well.  "We are going in to _____.  DO NOT ask for anything." 

janitablue
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Quoting hollydaze1974:

That is good. The whinning really get under my skin even when I tried to ignore it.

janitablue
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Start giving your son a set allowance. Make him choose what's important to him with the spending money he has, and do not supplement that. If he wants a new video game, make him save up his allowance. It's a great life lesson, and it gets rid of them asking you to buy things all the time.

I like that idea. Do you give your kids allowance when they complete a chore for ex. cleaning there room every day or at the end of the week?

CBMMOM
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Mallory used to make  big scenes at stores when she didn't get what she wanted. My solution was to leave the store with NOTHING at all. Not even what I went for. It was inconvenient,but after 2 or 3 times of that ,she straightened up nicely.It made a huge difference. She hadn't acted up in a very long time,but the other day she needed a little "booster shot" at Beall's. We should be good for quite a while now. Now hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. 

unicornnymph22
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:39 AM

This is what I did with my DD. It also works with the touching syndrome! Great for those break it/bought it stores.

Quoting CBMMOM:

Mallory used to make  big scenes at stores when she didn't get what she wanted. My solution was to leave the store with NOTHING at all. Not even what I went for. It was inconvenient,but after 2 or 3 times of that ,she straightened up nicely.It made a huge difference. She hadn't acted up in a very long time,but the other day she needed a little "booster shot" at Beall's. We should be good for quite a while now. Now hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)