Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Over reacting?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:30 PM
  • 23 Replies

Alright ladies need some opinions. My son is 9 & in the 4th grade. He told me on the way home from school that today his class got in trouble for talking in the hallway on the way back to class from lunch and as punishment tomorrow his teacher is going to make the class stand in the hallway for 45 minutes. I'm all for disciplining children but I think that is a bit excessive. Am I over reacting. I'm going to talk to the teacher and the principal tomorrow to find out what is going on.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Strega
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:33 PM
That is definitely a bit much. Good decision to go and speak to the Principal. I would do the same. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:39 PM

That punishment certainly doesn't fit the crime.  I could understand the class losing recess or some other privilege, but standing in the hall for 45 minutes isn't going to accomplish anything.

michelles
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I agree about questioning the punishment...I realize they are 4th graders but school just started...give tehm a warning and then maybe take away recess but I don't really think they should just be standing out in the hall as punishment!

summerbear
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM

45 minutes?? WTH? Losing almost an hour on education just to "teach them a lesson"? Talk to the principal about this...

k481gil
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Yeah I'm going to go talk to the teacher and the principal tomorrow. A classmate in his class said that he said the same thing. So I'm not going to go up there with an attitude I'm going to find out the story. It doesn't even matter to me if he was involved or not. I don't think any kid should stand up that long. This also goes along with what he told me last week about this same teacher telling them that if they get in trouble that he was going to make them stand in the corner and hold a dictionary over their heads. I'm touchy with this teacher cause my son had him in kindergarten and when he had him then he told him if he didn't bring a snack for the class that he wasn't going to give him one for that day. We wound up switching my son's class after that incident and this time I was trying to give him the benefit of doubt but he is making it pretty hard.

lightflash
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Talk to the principal.

lady_author
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Having been a foster parent, we were taught that the punishment had to teach the child something for it to be effective.  Having a child stand in the corner with a dictionary over their heads, or standing in the hall for 45 minutes does not teach a child anything except to hate school.  It's an empty punishment.  This is something that a drill sargent would use in the military, but not in a school of children.

Talking to the principal about your concerns is one way to go, but I would also address those concerns in a letter to the school.  Since you've had trouble with this teacher before mention this in the letter.  Give the school a certain number of days to reply to your letter and if they don't reply then send a copy of the letter to the school superintendent.

I had a principal that made students walk a silver line and if they got off that silver line they got swats.  It made the younger kids so scared that when their parents visited the kids were afraid their parents would get swats if they didn't walk on the silver line.  He didn't remain principal long after my mom found out about this practice.  She wasn't mean, she just wrote a letter.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I think you're doing the right thing by talking to the teacher and principal. Good luck tomorrow! Let us know how it goes.

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM
I think its good you will be talking too them tomorrow. This is not an appropriate punishment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

That punishment certainly doesn't fit the crime.  I could understand the class losing recess or some other privilege, but standing in the hall for 45 minutes isn't going to accomplish anything.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)