Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM
  • 13 Replies

My DS just started kindergarten. It has not gone smoothly. It HAS only been two days so maybe I am expecting too much. Anyway here is whats happened so far.... Yesterday I fed my kids breakfast and packed their lunch. Well somehow DS ended up eating breakfast at school, DD is in second grade and took him to his classroom then went to hers. Not sure how he got to the lunchroom. Also he didn't take his luchbox to the cafeteria, instead ate the school lunch. Then he got put on the wrong bus but it was cleared up before the busses left and he got on the right bus. When he got home he had a name tag with the wrong bus driver on his shirt.

Today I had to pick them up early. I got there and DD was in the office waiting and I was told DS was on his way down. I wanted to talk to his teacher anyway about the bus situation and find out exactly what happened. So I went to his classroom. When I got to the room she was handing the folders out to the kids. I saw DS, I had to step over some kids in the doorway and when I looked back up he was gone. Found him sitting in a corner. Then I couldn't find his backpack and lunchbox. Backpack was on teachers desk and lunchbox was in a milk crate, the teachers aid ended up getting it from wherever it was.

His teacher told me that they have sixth graders put the name tags on the kids and take them to the bus. Then she goes and makes sure they are on the right bus. 

The teacher has been teaching here for two years, not sure if she taught somewhere before or if she is new to teaching.  I think she should have made sure all the kids who brought lunches had their lunchbox, that she she should have been the one making sure the kids had the right name tags and got on the right bus the first time and he should have been ready when I came to pick him up.  Or at least have the teachers aid do this if she was too busy.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GreenKnitMama
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:37 PM

There's really nothing you can do about them eating the school food even though they have packed lunches....its not the teacher's responsibility to moniter what their students eat, or be expected to keep up with all of the students belongings.  However, you definitely need to sort out the bus mess....that could be really dangerous.

auroragold
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I'm scratching my head at allowing the 6th graders to put name tags on the kids and take them to the bus............

Shaylyn318
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM

There aren't that many kids that bring lunches. I doubt it is that difficult to announce to the kids and remind them that if they brought a lunch then they need to get it before they go to the cafeteria. They are five, they are new to this. I wouldn't expect her to remind them every day but at least the first few days until they know their new routine. As for the backpack that is about her not having him ready and sent to the office.

Quoting GreenKnitMama:

There's really nothing you can do about them eating the school food even though they have packed lunches....its not the teacher's responsibility to moniter what their students eat, or be expected to keep up with all of the students belongings.  However, you definitely need to sort out the bus mess....that could be really dangerous.

soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Quoting auroragold:

I'm scratching my head at allowing the 6th graders to put name tags on the kids and take them to the bus............

family in the van   Mom of four

Shaylyn318
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Actually I am not sure if it was the sixth grader who put the name tags on them, I just know SHE didn't and he had the wrong tag on him. I clearly told her myself whose bus he was to get on.

Quoting auroragold:

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I'm more concerned about the bus mess than the other stuff. The breakfast and lunch mix-ups will hopefully straighten out as everyone gets into the new routine. Did you make sure the teacher is clear on which bus he's to be on? And does anyone supervise the 6th graders? Why are 6th graders doing that anyway?

Shaylyn318
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Yes I did tell her which bus he is supposed to be on. I don't know if anyone supervises them, I know she doesn't because she had no idea why he had the wrong tag on, she said she has the right info. I am just glad he did get on the right bus and the mix up was fixed.

Quoting wakymom:

I'm more concerned about the bus mess than the other stuff. The breakfast and lunch mix-ups will hopefully straighten out as everyone gets into the new routine. Did you make sure the teacher is clear on which bus he's to be on? And does anyone supervise the 6th graders? Why are 6th graders doing that anyway?

rousefam5
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Yikes, I would be concerned.

LorisChar
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I ould b eupset and working on getting the bus situation straghtened out. The lunch issue will hopefully work itself out. Maybe try reminding your son before he leaves in the morning to make sure he takes his lunchbox to lunch wiht him, I have to do things like this with my boys. Sometimes hearing it from us AND the teacher, helps make it sink in better. As far as the part about him not being ready when you got there, that wouldn't upset me as our school does NOT do that  (unless they are in the nurses office goign home "sick"). They won't even call the child down until you are in the office and have signed the sign out sheet/showed ID. I like that it works that way, then they dont' have kids sitting in the office waiting on soemeone to pick them up and possibly going with the wrong person.

Shaylyn318
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Since that happened I do make sure he knows too not forget. It would have been nice for the teacher help them for the first day at least. Anyway as for the waiting in the office, that's what they do they call them down. We live in a small town and there is no fear that my kids would get sent home with the wrong person. They know my DH and I. DH went to the same school and the office administrator knows him from childhood. LOL.

Quoting LorisChar:

I ould b eupset and working on getting the bus situation straghtened out. The lunch issue will hopefully work itself out. Maybe try reminding your son before he leaves in the morning to make sure he takes his lunchbox to lunch wiht him, I have to do things like this with my boys. Sometimes hearing it from us AND the teacher, helps make it sink in better. As far as the part about him not being ready when you got there, that wouldn't upset me as our school does NOT do that  (unless they are in the nurses office goign home "sick"). They won't even call the child down until you are in the office and have signed the sign out sheet/showed ID. I like that it works that way, then they dont' have kids sitting in the office waiting on soemeone to pick them up and possibly going with the wrong person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)