• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 2nd grader is saying "she can't spell"

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM
  • 3 Replies

She brought home a study sheet for her reading test on Friday. And she had 3 words spelled wrong and her "b" backwards (so it was actually a "d") in one word. I am making her correct it so she learns. I don't expect her to be perfect at this age, after all she just learned to read and write within the past 2 years. AND EVEN ADULTS SPELL WRONG. We see it all the time on CM. 

So how do I get her to realize that its ok to spell wrong and she isn't in trouble, but when she does spell something wrong I will have her correct it? I never yelled at her or anything, i just calmly said "good job on your work, but these 3 words are spelled wrong and I want you to spell them correctly" She just started crying and saying "I'll never spell right and I'm already in 2nd grade"

Can I get some momma's to help her self esteem and tell her its ok to make mistakes when we are learning, and tell her that y'all make mistakes sometimes too.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
melaniecerise
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

It is ok to make mistakes. That is how we learn. If we didn't make mistakes then we would never learn. I notice a lot of spelling errors on Cafemom and we are all grown

robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:17 PM
My son used to have this problem a lot. He's also in second grade well going to second school didn't start here yet. He would have spelling test with 20 words and get 2 wrong And he would act like it was the end of the world. I started pointing out all the words he spelled right and that seems to work most of the time. I also sometimes purposely spell a word wrong or ask him how to spell something I know he know how to spell to prove that even adults are not perfect
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM

#1  - "can't" is not a word she is allowed to say.

#2 - let her know that as long as she is trying her best, you will help her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)