Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you make a 6 and 7 year old understand that you just can't afford it!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM
  • 8 Replies

I feel sooo bad for my girls, they have done cheerleading the past 2 years and its actually a decent price, only $60 a child, very affordable for me normally but I have missed 2 days of work for the past 3 weeks because ive been so sick from my pregnancy. My ac broke and had a lot of extra financial responsibilities over the summer. We already do live on a type budget so any changes affects us big time. We have tried saving money this year but things just keep coming up. I had to tell them this evening that I couldn't sign them up for cheer this year. They just started crying. And i feel so guilty that I can't do it, and feel like they are missing out, that they won't have the oppurtunities other kids will have. But how do I make them understand its about money not anything they did or didnt do? They are amazing students and they deserve to do things like this. My heart is just soo broken right now. I promise I will take $120 out of my tax money in the spring and put it away for them with CHEER written on it so it doesn't get spent.

simple frown

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
veggietalesmom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Are there scholarships available? I know the local Y always has several families on scholarship as does our local church with basketball and Awanas.

..........as hard as it is, the lesson is also a good one to learn that we all need to make choices and you make responsible ones.....and hard ones too.

-42-
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Have you talked to the coach? Usually, there's spots for kids who can't pay taken care of by donations.

collegegrad2013
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM
It is a hard but good lesson in responsibility for them. Sometimes we have to live with disappointment and try harder next time.
Stay strong. It will get better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Iluvjandkplus8
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:29 PM
Yes, please check with your league. Ours has scholarships for parents that need it. As for the money part, I don't talk to my kids about our finances. If they want something and I can't afford it, the answer is no with no explanation. My boys are only 7 and 3. I just don't think they're old enough to start worrying about money. My Mom use to talk to me all the time about money and it gave me anxiety as a kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Just tell them that since you missed work you missed some money you usually have and can't afford it right now because other things have to be paid. Keep it simple We discuss things lkike that with our kids. For emaple we will tell them that we can't afford going out to eat because we have certainb tyhings that need paid. We have the money for food, to mortgage, ect, but we don't have extra at this time to spend on fun stuff

kjfamily
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM
Ask your parents for the money for the kids..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Have you contacted the cheeleading assoc to see if they have any scholarship or financial hardship waivers? You never know....

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM

We tell our kids that those things cost $ and we don't have enough to spend on whatever it is. We've done that their whole lives and they eventually understand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)