• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bullied at school. NOT cool.

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

Third day of school, and bullying has already begun. That is not going to go down well. Not at all. Alanda was shoved off of a swing by a 4th grader during recess who decided she shouldn't have to wait her turn. Alanda walked away today, but if it happens again, she knows it's okay to stand up to the bully. I reviewed the school's reporting process with both of my kids, and what should be done if the school's anti - bullying process does not work. (I didn't spend HUNDREDS on karate for nothing now did I?) They have a right to protect themselves, and if the school's way fails, my kids know they will be allowed by me to use the ultimate last resort method: Self defense, by any means necessary. She is reporting it to her teacher tomorrow, and I will be talking to the principal about the fact that Alanda couldn't find a yard duty to get help from when it happened. NOT cool.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Ugh. Not a good way to start the yr. Good for your dd for walking away today. Hope the school's policy works.

suzi960
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:14 PM

ughh, sorry momma,like wakymom said,what a way to start the year....i agree 100%, if the schools way dosent work,defend yourself....and btw,  why was there no adult on the school yard watching the kids.....

KimberlyMKasten
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:16 PM

BUMP!

KimberlyMKasten
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Quoting suzi960:

ughh, sorry momma,like wakymom said,what a way to start the year....i agree 100%, if the schools way dosent work,defend yourself....and btw,  why was there no adult on the school yard watching the kids.....

exactly what i wanted to know

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM

That totally sucks!  Both of my boys know that if they are bullied they need to follow the proper channels.  If that doesn't work they have my permission to defend themselves and they won't get into trouble at home for it.

My friend's son defended himself and a few others from a bully last fall.  He got detention at school for shoving the bully.  His mom took him out for ice cream on the day that he had detention.

JordieHavok15
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM
My kid was bullied at the bus stop last year and didn't tell us until a couple of weeks into it. My school-loving kid went from that to not putting much effort into it. We got it straightened out, but last school year was not a good one. Hoping this year is better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissyB1011
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Sorry to hear the school year start off so crappy. Hopefully things will get better for your sweet daughter!

My parents always told me to try the school's way first. If that didn't work, they were okay as long as I didn't start whatever was going on. If I started it, I'd be in trouble at school and way more trouble when I got home.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:41 PM
Good for you OP. I tell my kids the same thing about being bullied. Report it, and try to walk away but you also have the right to defend yourself if they come at you and I will back you up.

I too have my kids in karate and Sensei sayd the same. Raise your hands in."surrender" and tell them you don't want trouble and back away while watching them. If they come at you block once...HARD so they feel it but if they come again...take them down!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boobarandbell
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:43 PM

don't let the school bully you now! my son was physically bullied by another child in kindergarten, as well as some other kids by this child. I reported it to the teacher, who dismissed it and said "boys will be boys". I said no, punching in the tummy and knocking to the ground is violence, clear cut violence. I spoke with the principal. I found out that my son was questioned by 5 different adults/teachers about it, while only the teacher and principal spoke to this other boy. I was furious. Why was my son being interogated by the adults? We set up a meeting and the principal told me it would be my husband, me, her and the teacher. we got there to find out she had called in the school social worker, and my son's speech teacher as well. my husband said it was like being ganged up on. I told them that this child bullying needs help, so we won't take legal action right now, becasue since he's so young they have the opportunity to get him help. (ya, i'm a former teacher too, which if they would have looked at my son's records, they would have known). we voiced our concerns. we said that we had always taught our son to turn the other cheek to violence, and to walk away and tell an adult, but when he did, the teacher would put the bully AND my son in time out...together! My son would miss out on recess then too. We told them we were changing our position and would teach our son to stand up for himself, even physically. The principal told us if he does and gets caught he would be suspended too. I told them, try it, and they will hear from our lawyer, the police, and the media! I told them, i send my child off to school and EXPECT them to provide a SAFE learning enviornment. And that if he has to defend himself against anyone physically hurting him, then the school is failing. The teacher said that she was trying to sympathize with us, since our son comes from a 'broken home', since my son has a different last name, she knew i'm divorced and remarried. I said there is nothing broken about our home, and that's why MY son ISN'T a bully. The social worker stood up and said that she didn't know why she was called to this meeting and that there was nothing wrong with our family. I informed the school that although i was a great parent to the school (pta boards, classroom volunteering, etc.) that i will NOT accpet my son getting bullied, and if they think i'm a dream parent up until this meeting (becasue of all i do for the schoo), that i could also be the parent from hell if they fail to protect my son agian.

3gifts.from.god
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM

EXACTLY what my kids were taught. Karate is AWESOME.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Good for you OP. I tell my kids the same thing about being bullied. Report it, and try to walk away but you also have the right to defend yourself if they come at you and I will back you up.

I too have my kids in karate and Sensei sayd the same. Raise your hands in."surrender" and tell them you don't want trouble and back away while watching them. If they come at you block once...HARD so they feel it but if they come again...take them down!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)