Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help. need advice

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:34 PM
  • 16 Replies
My dd is in kindergraden and she loves going to school and her teachers. But when it comes to doing the work its a nightmare. I seen some of the work that she does at school and she isnt following what is ask of her. Then when we try to do her at home work it takes hours on hours to even get one thing done. I dont know what to do. Im afarid she may have a learning disabiled. Its so hard to watch her struggle. Can any help me plz.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StephanieSH
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM

What does her teacher think?  I've found my kids have different issues with doing in-class work and doing homework.  Does the teacher think her in-class problems are because she doesn't understand the work, because she gets distracted or rushes through it?  I would first get her teacher's impression before you jump to any conclusions.  There could be a lot of different reasons. Don't worry!

JessiB211
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM
The teacher hasnt said anything yet but it just the second week of school. But we have had the same problems before she started school. She just sits there and looks lost. When you ask her something she doesnt answer. When we try to work with her on school things she looks like we told her she is in trouble and fighting tears.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:36 PM

This sounded like my son. He was finally diagnosed with a learning disability in 4th grade. (ADD)

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM

My daughter is like that (ADD-Inattention). The way we do homework is break it down with gross motor breaks. Do two problems and then do 5 jumping jacks.... make it fun.

If it continues, have her observed and tested by the school psychologist.

Could there be an auditory processing delay? (you can learn more by googling central auditory processing disorder of CAPD) or slower brain processing? My daughter's brain has a harder time processing the sounds she hears (think dyslexia only hearing). She ended up skyrocketing academically as soon as she learned to read and no longer relied on verbal instructions.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Talk to her teacher to see what she thinks.  Either email her or send a note in with your dd asking her to call you.  It could be that she is tired after a long day in school, she could be easily distracted, she could be bored to death even.

janitablue
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Talk to her teacher to see what she thinks.  Either email her or send a note in with your dd asking her to call you.  It could be that she is tired after a long day in school, she could be easily distracted, she could be bored to death even.

I agreed . Do you let her relax and unwind from school before she starts her homework? It is too soon to make a assumption wait for evaluation (1 semester).  If she has a problem after the first semester the teacher will help take the steps(create meeting, meet with thecounselor) that is need for your daughter to have a successful school year.

JessiB211
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Yeah once she gets off the bus we have a snack and i let her and her sister play for a lil bit. Then we start on homework before supper. Her dad and i both struggled through school. When i was in 3rd grade my teacher had me tested and was put on retillian not sure i spelled that right. But they said if i had any issue just put me on the meds. Her sister is also haven to be a speech therapist for develpment dalys. It just alot and im freaking out. I breaks my heart to watch my girls go through this. Its simething i did or didnt do right. Im stray to think postive but i feel like im falling them has a mom.

Quoting janitablue:

Quoting steelcrazy:

I agreed . Do you let her relax and unwind from school before she starts her homework? It is too soon to make a assumption wait for evaluation (1 semester).  If she has a problem after the first semester the teacher will help take the steps(create meeting, meet with thecounselor) that is need for your daughter to have a successful school year.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JessiB211
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:15 PM
Sorry for all the typos. My phone has that dang auto correction on it and it puts what it wants to lol

Quoting JessiB211:

Yeah once she gets off the bus we have a snack and i let her and her sister play for a lil bit. Then we start on homework before supper. Her dad and i both struggled through school. When i was in 3rd grade my teacher had me tested and was put on retillian not sure i spelled that right. But they said if i had any issue just put me on the meds. Her sister is also haven to be a speech therapist for develpment dalys. It just alot and im freaking out. I breaks my heart to watch my girls go through this. Its simething i did or didnt do right. Im stray to think postive but i feel like im falling them has a mom.

Quoting janitablue:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MathMary
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Try cutting back on electronic entertainment time and make her spend time outside playing in the sunshine and fresh air before doing homework.  Electronic entertainment should be no more than 30 minutes per day.  Any more than that tends to cause a bit of a short-circuit in the attention span of a young mind.

JessiB211
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM
I have wonder about that myself. But she doesnt have a problem with haven to sit or being still for any periods of time. She loves to dance and singing, and can tell you what happen on her favorite shows even if she didnt watch tv that day. Like when we tell her to write something or a lettet just about everytime its not what we told her. Like for example e which her name starts with and she knows how to write. Might write an a or write it upside
down.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

My daughter is like that (ADD-Inattention). The way we do homework is break it down with gross motor breaks. Do two problems and then do 5 jumping jacks.... make it fun.

If it continues, have her observed and tested by the school psychologist.

Could there be an auditory processing delay? (you can learn more by googling central auditory processing disorder of CAPD) or slower brain processing? My daughter's brain has a harder time processing the sounds she hears (think dyslexia only hearing). She ended up skyrocketing academically as soon as she learned to read and no longer relied on verbal instructions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)