Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meet and Greet Today

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:36 PM
  • 9 Replies

So today the school had a Meet & Greet for the students to find their classrooms and meet their teachers.  It was total chaos! lol!

DD was relieved to see that she had a COUPLE of kids in her class that she knew.  THANK GOD!  All I have been hearing all week is what if she doesn't know ANYONE, etc!!!   hahaha

When I got home later, I had an email from the teacher. I guess there must be some nut allergies in the classroom because the room has been declared a peanut free zone.  DD was bummed she couldn't take her peanut butter and cheese crackers she loves so much.  Didn't have a problem with that last year...

Have you noticed a significant increase in food allergies???

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Be sure to ask for what foods are safe treats for the classroom if you do plan to send in anything (ei birthday treat.) Some foods are processed in a facility that also processes foods with nuts. So those foods are not safe. (example- one brand of pretzels is "safe" while another is not).

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I haven't noticed any more food allergies than when I was in school.  My youngest was in a nut free classroom a few years ago and it really wasn't that big of an issue.  I looked at it like this, I'd want another parent to do things to keep my child safe, so why wouldn't I do that for another parent's child.  Most food allergies are a life and death situation and must be taken very seriously.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:28 AM
I agree with her, but my girls haven't been in a nut free classroom yet.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I haven't noticed any more food allergies than when I was in school.  My youngest was in a nut free classroom a few years ago and it really wasn't that big of an issue.  I looked at it like this, I'd want another parent to do things to keep my child safe, so why wouldn't I do that for another parent's child.  Most food allergies are a life and death situation and must be taken very seriously.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:54 AM

I haven't actually. My son is going into the 5th grade and we have never had an allergy issue in his classrooms. I have no idea about this year yet. There is a seperate table in the cafeteria for kids with food allergies, but the kids can still bring what they want for lunch.

LadyJag
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Yes, it seems like peanut allergies have been on the rise since I was in school. Yeah, I know I'm a dinosaur, but when I was in school, I never heard of ANYone with a peanut allergy. Milk, yes. Chocolate, yes. Peanuts? Uh-uh!

Last year in pre-K, there was a boy in Alyssa's class with a peanut allergy. The teacher simply asked that any snacks or treats sent in for the class be peanut free and to read the labels to be sure there was nothing about being packaged/processed in a plant that processed peanuts.

Otherwise, what the kids had for lunch or personal snack were fine. My Alyssa lives on PB or PBJ sandwiches and PB  crackers, and was able to have her favorite lunch and snack without issue. The teachers simply made sure that the kids with PB in their lunches didn't sit near the kid with the peanut allergy.

Now, summer camp this year was different. The day school that hosted summer camp sessions requested that the kids' lunches be peanut-free, so Alyssa had lots of jelly sandwiches for lunch this summer!  I can understand the restriction there, though, because unlike school sessions, where you have the same kids every day for months and can familiarize yourself with who has what allergies. It was summer camp, where you get a lot of kids who don't attend the school during the year, and some attend only 1-2 weeks every so often. Plus, in summer camp, they don't necessarily get the same teacher for each 1-2 week session.

Back on point, I'm glad your DD found some kids she knows! As far as the PB & cheese crackers, can she have them in her lunch instead of as a snack? Or are PB lunches forbidden too?

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I don't remember any food allergies in school when I was little. I did have a friend at a diff. school who couldn't eat chocolate.

The first school ds1 went to for preschool was totally peanut free that yr. The whole school, not just a classrm.

This yr, the whole kindergarten hallway is a peanut, nut, and latex-free zone. We'll have to see how that affects the rest of the school next yr when all those kids eat lunch at school.

A couple yrs ago, a hallway in our church's school was totally nut-free, and that had to carry over to the Sunday School classes as well.

stefvan
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:09 AM

My son has only been in a nut-free class one time.  And, then it was only for snack time.  They could still bring it for lunch, but it could only be opened in the cafeteria.  We have a nut free section of the cafeteria for those children who are allergic. 

wickedannabella
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Well, I talked with the teacher a bit more, she sent home an "approved" snack list today.  What makes me mad is that it would have been nice to have this LAST week when I was buying the snacks for school!  A majority of what I have bought isn't approved.  Like a poster said earlier...one brand is approved, the other isn't...and it's always the more expensive brand that is approved or the brand DD doesn't like!  *sigh*

I totally agree, this is serious, I wouldn't want to have my child exposed to a life or death situation, so I'm happy to comply, but wished I had this list earlier.  Believe me, this list is getting laminated and put on my fridge.

We cannot send anything not on the list to the class for snacks.  DD wasn't able to have a snack today because the pretzels I sent weren't approved.  Which wasn't fair to her either...rock meet hard place.

The lunches are put in a bin OUTSIDE the class separated from those who have a peanut allergy.  They also go to a separate table.  The teacher asked us to refrain from packing lunches in consideration, but I feel that's taking it too far. 

We're not allowed to send food for birthdays.  Not even store bought.  Only NON food items (which is why DD gets a LOT of pencils) for birthdays or you can donate a book to the classroom.

It's to the point the kids can't do anything anymore.  It's tough!  But my original point was that it seems there are a LOT more allergies these days!  Milk, eggs, gluten , nuts, shell fish, wheat, etc.  I feel so bad for these kids!  How sad is it that a kid can't have ice cream, cake or any of the GREAT things kids should have!?!!?

Wonder what it is that is happening these days that causes this?  I'm SO grateful that my DD doesn't have any allergies.  I truely count this as a blessing!

Mandymb
by Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:45 PM
I never knew anyone growing up with peanut allergies or of any schools that did not allow certain foods. My little ones pre school is peanut free but my olde ones has no restrictions. They have a peanut free table in the lunch room to be used as needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)