• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions please!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM
  • 17 Replies
Hubby and I are having a little dispute over our son's name and what he should be called and what he should be writing out at school.

So, when little man starts school, he is obviously going to have to learn how to write his name. NOW. Here is the dilemma.

DH wants him to go by Edwardo OR Eddie....BUT write out Edwardo.

Lil man wants to be called Eddie. and DH still wants him to write Edwardo.

I think that he should learn how to write what he wants to be called, therefore causing less confusion on his behalf.

Opinions please??

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:59 PM

He will end up writing what he is called by the teacher and other kids... Eddie... but his formal name for attendance and school records etc will have his full name Edwardo.  My nephew's name is Matthew and we always called him Matthew (still do), but when he started school he always wrote his name Matt and his friends all call him Matt. He is now a sophmore in college. He is Matt to everyone but his relatives who still call him by his formal name.

Dh is going to have to let go on this one. If Lil man wants to be called Eddie... DH is going to have to get used to it.

suzi960
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:01 AM

well i know when my boys started school, they always said no nicknames we called them by their real first name..like i call my son bobby,but his name is robert.and since pre-k,they only call him robert...same thing with my second son, his name is joseph,but we call him jojo,at school they only know him  as joseph....so i guess you and hubby have to decide what name  you want to put down on all his paperwork for school....

pooh2you
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:06 AM

At our school they will not use nicknames only legal names. not even on a paper to be turned in the teacher will make the child correct it.

flmom81206
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:20 AM

I forgot to mention that the school told me today at orientation that he will learn what they will be calling him, which will be Eddie.

3HappylKidds
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:28 AM
My youngst son name is Zackary. Everyone calls him Zack..even doctors. But when i teach him to write his name i will teach him to spell is Zac. He is obviously learn to write his full name as well. I dont know the policy in our district about that. My older two dont have nicknames. I wanted to name our youngest Jeremiah for 8 months of my pregancy...until i realized everyone would call him Jeremy and i hate that name so i refused to name him that haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Quoting flmom81206:

I forgot to mention that the school told me today at orientation that he will learn what they will be calling him, which will be Eddie.

Well there you go.  Our school asks if there is a nickname, and the teacher will go by the preferred name.

flmom81206
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:48 AM

thanks. :-D convinced hubby that Eddie would be ok. lol

Score for the pregnant wifey! haha

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Quoting flmom81206:

Well there you go.  Our school asks if there is a nickname, and the teacher will go by the preferred name.

mommasaint
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:14 AM

It depends on the school as you can see. At our school they will call you by a nickname if you want, but the kids have to write their full name on all school papers. So my son has to put Gabriel on every assignment, even though everyone calls him Gabe.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:50 AM
I think a kid should know their real name, but write or go by whatever they want. My formal name is Kathrine, only go by Kat. Always have, always will. Teachers didn't call me Kathrine & I will not respond to anyone who calls me Kathrine. I act like I can't hear you. I am who I want to be & feel its disrespectful to me me a name I don't like.

Kids should have that choice. Not parents or teachers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2boysmommy.js
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:58 AM
we call all our children by their middle names.. So on the official paper work hes william jackson... But to the staff and teachers and what he writes is just jackson... Hes in K... And dosent know william at all.. We will be working on that though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)