Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homework..... how do you get your young child to do it?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:02 AM
  • 45 Replies

any tips for easy, quick and succesful homework? my son doesn't really like to sit down and do certain subjects - his reading for example. and it can take an eternity....

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshyne86
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:17 AM
My kids don't like to sit down and do homework but we do it right after school so its still fresh and I remind them that the longer it takes them the less time they will have to do fun stuff... And I always check it and make them re do it if It's not right
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshyne86
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:19 AM
I do give them 15 or 20 mins so that they can go potty get a snack take off their shoes and all that... Then its right to homework

Quoting sunshyne86:

My kids don't like to sit down and do homework but we do it right after school so its still fresh and I remind them that the longer it takes them the less time they will have to do fun stuff... And I always check it and make them re do it if It's not right

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whimsyjuggalett
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:19 AM

IDK, This is my 1st yr old homework and she hasn't had any yet.

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:23 AM
We used a white board to write on and also painted chalk board paint on her wall to make it fun. Kids love writing on the wall. Lol As for reading I would grab a book and read with her. It helped cause mom was doing it too. Now I did read books that she would find dunny and tell her about when we were done. Sir fartsalot hunts the booger was a good one. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orcadarwin
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I just make them sit down and do it.  It makes me the bad guy sometimes, but they have to do it.  They do their homework as soon as they get home from school.  

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:25 AM

I agree with getting to it as soon as possible.  Have him get a snack and talk about his day a bit, then set up shop in a fairly quiet location to get to work.  Having a routine will make it easier and I've found that having them do homework before playing will ensure that the homework gets done.  If he has a younger sibling, try to find something quiet for them to do in another part of the house so that they aren't disturbing him.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:43 AM

I let him get a snack and relax first, then just tell him no playing until he does it. He's not happy w/ me about it, but oh well : )

jen2150
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Mostly I just tell him and he does it.  I usually give him a reward if he doesn't complain and if he complains he looses a privilege.  I try to make it as fun as possible.  I also make sure they are well fed and have other distractions our the way like drinking and bathroom breaks.  My kids understand that I tell them to do something then they better do it.  They are allowed to ask politely for changes in orders but when I give my final order I better hear an ok with a smile.

lady_author
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:04 AM

One of our houserules is Homework before TV, Computers or Playing.  We always have something for snacks and then it's time for homework.  We tell them we are available to help them but we will not do it for them.

We know they don't like doing homework, we didn't like doing homework when we went to school but that's part of school.  We stick to our guns.  Our oldest last year kept saying he didn't have homework and never brought any home so there was nothing we could do about it.  But this year that will change.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Quoting lady_author:

One of our houserules is Homework before TV, Computers or Playing.  We always have something for snacks and then it's time for homework.  We tell them we are available to help them but we will not do it for them.

We know they don't like doing homework, we didn't like doing homework when we went to school but that's part of school.  We stick to our guns.  Our oldest last year kept saying he didn't have homework and never brought any home so there was nothing we could do about it.  But this year that will change.

This is where having an open line of communication with the teacher comes in handy.  After a few days of that game, I'd be emailing the teacher to see if they really don't have homework.  If I find out my child is lying, I'd be making sure that the teacher emails me daily of his assignments and would be making sure that he brought them home or suffer the consiquences.  Its all about responsibility and not shirking your duties.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)