Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meet the teacher disappointment.

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:59 PM
  • 11 Replies

Well last night was meet the teacher night at DD school.  We are new to district and it was interesting to see how dd new school is going to be.  I was not impressed at all.  I am trying to keep an open mind but still I'm still a little unhappy about dd teacher.  DD is ADHD and has anxiety problems and I am hoping for a great understanding teacher this year. 

Meet the teacher we get there and walk in I see another parent signing their child in so I got in line.  I see a lady walking around the room and just assume it is a parent due to the fact of not being acknowledged.  To find out it was DD teacher.  There was a note on the board that asked for school supplies be seperated into buckets and that parents feel out a few first day of school forms and leave them.  So I do this finally the teacher says oh I can take those ask a few questions about how dd was getting home and that was it.  So DD and I walked around the school to see the cafeteria and gym.  Another parent told the teacher they were knew to the district and the teacher told the parent well we will deal with it Monday. Before leaving we went back to DD class and asked the teacher where dd was to go after getting dropped off and she says it will be discussed the first day of school.  WTH luckily I can walk DD to class but I have an unsettling thought about the teacher.  I will give it time but the teacher was not entusiastic or even like she cared to be there. 

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM

That's too bad. Hope it gets better for you

menmy2lilmen
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Bad first impressions with teachers can be rough. I hope that she was just having a bad night.

I know your trying to keep and open mind which is needed. Keep it up and I hope things go better once school starts.

PoehlerBear1983
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM
That sucks sorry! I don't walk my kids in to school one is going into 3rd the other kindergarten but I know that when the buses drop off there are teachers outside everyone goes to the back of the school and they are sorted out there. It may be different for my older son tho because 3rd grade is at a different school. I am sure he will be fine tho
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NearSeattleMom
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 1:51 AM

How old is your daughter?  I've had bad first impression of teachers but the school year ended up being fine.

Hope things work out for you!

jenn981478
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:30 AM
She is 7 but she's at a new school this year and doesn't know anyone but her cousins and they are all in different grades.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mbryan11
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Scary!  :(

RoguesMommy
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 7:43 AM

Sorry you got a bad first impression. That doesn't make the first day of school any easier. My daughter starts PK and I met her teacher a few days ago. I was not impressed either, more about the school. I personally know her teacher and he's a great teacher! I'm just nervous that he's a man, otherwise I'm fine. I knew the teacher five years ago so idk if hes changed or not.

The PK classes are in a building outside of the school, kinda far away and across a big parking lot. The building did not have AC working for meet the teacher (it's 107 outside!) and they keep all school supplies in a closet down the hall, nothing of the class room was really put together and I was kinda disappointed.

But the teacher was very informative, friendly and eager to meet his new students and their families.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I'm sorry it didn't go well. Honestly, I never really like Back to School Night/Open House because usually the school is so crowded. I just go to drop of supplies and to make sure my son knows where his new classroom is located. I don't put high expectations on it because it's not a great atmosphere to get to know people. Last year was really tough for us because they hired my son's teacher less than a week before the Back to School Night. The classroom was completely bear, but the teacher was friendly to my son.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Hopefully the teacher was just having a rough night and things will go well once school starts.

bupkie
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I understand how you feel.   If things went as you described, I'd feel exactly the same way!   If it's "meet the teacher night"  then the teacher NEEDS to be "ON" and ACKNOWLEDGE her STUDENTS!!!!      If I were there...  I'd have wanted to say "Um... excuse me... but this IS MEET THE TEACHER NIGHT... ISN'T IT????   So, you ARE HERE TO BE MEETING AND GREETING YOUR STUDENTS, CORRECT?   THIS IS YOUR STUDENTS' TIME... NOT YOURS!!!"       

This is what gets my GOAT.... WHY are they even bothering to be TEACHERS... IF THEY DON'T WANT TO BE THERE FOR THE STUDENTS???!!!!    If they don't care about THE KIDS..... THEN THEY DON'T BELONG IN THE CLASSROOM!!!!     I don't care if she is having a bad day... we all have bad days.... DON'T TAKE IT OUT ON THE KIDS!!!!  If you are going to take it out on them all year when you have a bad day... THEN I DON'T WANT YOU TEACHING MY KID!!!!!   

*Sorry... I jumped on my soapbox there..... *     Can  I come in and meet that teacher?   I wanna smack her!!!!   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)