Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what ages did you allow T.V. in your children's room???

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:12 AM
  • 91 Replies

Currently, my five year old son has no television what so ever in his room. He does have a computer though, that he plays games and such on. He does surf the web, but I have parental blocks on almost all websites. My aunt who has an 11 year old, suggested to me, to get a television in his room. I think he's too young, personally. But she claimed she got her son when he was at that age a t.v. I told her I would think about it, and now she is hinting that she's getting him one and a Wii for Christmas....

At what age did you let your children have television in their rooms?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommasaint
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:19 AM

My children don't have a TV in their rooms. It won't even be an option until they are in HS and this is still a big maybe. Same for computers.

ElisabethCHale
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:21 AM

I don't even have a t.v. in my bedroom., but the way she was implying and such, made me feel like I was making my son miss out on stuff. He does watch television on a certain time, in the living room.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Well, at this point never. My kids are 6, 11 and 13. They have access to the internet in the kitchen and dining room and a big old tv in the family room. They rarely ask to go on the computer or watch tv, unless they are out of books to read on a snowy weekend. 

I don't think it is necessary for my kids to have access to television at all hours. We watch some stuff in the evening as a family or they can watch a movie during breaks. It's just not a large part of our lives.

MLefty
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:35 AM
When he moves out. I don't think its possible for a child to have too little TV.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:31 AM
My son has A tv that only plays DVDs And he knows that he must ask for permission we do that so if I take a nap with my youngest I can give him something to do so he will let me sleep. Lol. We will never have a gaming system or Internet there if in can help it. We do have them in the house. I just try to keep electronics out bedrooms (even ours) for encouraging sleep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:40 AM
My dd is 5 and she had a tv in her room that only played movies. We have moved it to her play room because that tv broke
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Wow, I guess I'm the odd man out here. My kids have pretty much always had TVs in their rooms.

Lexie got one as soon as she got her own bedroom. (She was almost 4.) Prior to that, she and I shared a room. I can't go to sleep without the TV, so she learned the same thing. The first couple of nights in her new room, she tossed and turned all night, same as I do when there's no TV. So we went out and got her one. It's nothing fancy, just a 20" color TV. Now she has a DVD player, but that was her dad's doing. When Kiki was a baby, she shared a room with Lexie. So she ended up learning the "I need TV to sleep" thing, too. Ugh. So when we moved and she got her own room, she got a TV as well. And then the cycle continued when we had Sarah, because she and Kiki were sharing a room. Sigh. Now they all have their own rooms, and they all have TVs.

I want to emphasize that just because my kids have their own TVs, does not mean they sit on their butts all the time in front of them. They do two sports each, and love to be outside playing. TV is mostly for after dark and bad weather.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999
Leslie Kirsten 03-14-2004
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 
Due Date 04-15-2012

endurablemist
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:36 AM

My 9 year old has a TV in her room. She has had it since she was 5 maybe. Its not on all the time, and she has no game system in her room. Most of the time actually we watch TV in the living room together.

KamisMommysGirl
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:43 AM
Kami doesn't have one in her room,but I was thinking about getting her one for her next birthday (she will be 6)
Cindy18
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:55 AM

My kids don't have a TV in their room. The rooms are very small as is my house so there is no need.

I agree with MLefty... I don't think a child can see to little TV.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)