Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What role does religion play in your family?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM
  • 31 Replies

What role does religion play in your family? For younger children, when do you start bringing them, and when are they expected to start understanding what's going on? Are CCD/religious ed classes, required, encouraged, or a non-issue?

*Remember ladies, we are ALL ADULTS here. Each is entitled to their own opinion and feelings on this question. So please be nice. And remember that golden rule: Treat others how you wish to be treated. Thanks!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MLefty
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:41 AM
No organized religion plays a major role. We talk about different beliefs - what some people believe and what I believe. But I dont say Im right and others are wrong. I mainly say the world is a mysterious place and people believe what makes sense to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kylie819
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:43 AM
My DD has gone to church since she was a baby. Heck, she played baby Jesus at Christmas and Easter lol. She goes to a private Christian school now.
emilyschildcare
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Well, the Bible says, "From infancy you have known the holy writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through the faith in connection with Christ Jesus." -2 Timothy 3:15

"These words that I am commanding you today must prove to be on your heart and you must inculcate them in your son and speak of them when you sit in your house and when you walk on the road and when you lie down and when you get up." -Deuteronomy 6:6,7

So if you take the Bible's advice, it would be from infancy and constant. This is what we TRY to do :-) We take our daughter with us twice a week. We have studied the Bible and done research to make sure that what we are being taught at church is in line with what is taught in the Bible, and only the Bible. That's just us! :-)

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:16 AM

Not a big part, really. I only went to church a handful of times when I was young, and the girls have only been there for weddings. That's not to say we don't believe, because we definitely DO. We just don't study a particular religion or set of beliefs. Luke and I--and Lexie's dad, in her case--have discussed with our girls what we believe. We've also talked with them about different kinds of religion, and what different people believe. The most important things we want them to understand are #1, that God exists (and watches over us) and #2, that just because some people believe different things than us, doesn't mean that their beliefs are wrong.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999
Leslie Kirsten 03-14-2004
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 
Due Date 04-15-2012

endurablemist
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:30 AM

Well DF is Atheist, I was born and raised Catholic, but after leaving my moms house no longer went to church. When my oldest was born we had her baptized Catholic, but really only to please my grandfather. My youngest is not baptized.

Present day my oldest is 9, a friend at the  bus stop Nov, invited her to go to the church and be a part of the Christmas program. After is was over they invited her to Sunday school. She wanted to go, so we let her. She continues to go every Sunday, and stays for church. If they are doing a program or something we go, and occasionally when I have a Sunday morning we go.

Its so different than the church I grew up in, I like this one much better.

Love24210
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:58 AM

None really. Mostly just on holidays. 

Cindy18
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:02 AM

We have never gone regularly. My kids have gone on the church bus and liked it.

I would like to start going back but no one else will go with me.

Chymerra
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:52 AM

We don't go to church regulary but religion is a large factor in my kids life.  The preschool that both kids have attended/are attending is a Christian preschool and they do learn about God/Jesus as part of the cirriculum.  Both kids will be attending vacation Bible school next summer (DD went this past summer and loved it) and my DD is starting Sunday school.

mommas3cubs
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Religion is a big part of our family. We go to church every Sunday and our kids go to Sunday School classes.Our kids look forward to Church on Sunday and Sunday School. My Oldest child is going to be confirmed in the spring! Yay!We also do Vacation Bible School every year, and for the past 2 yrs my 13yo has been volunteering right along side of me. And my other 2 will do the same I am sure.

Never hate people who are jealous of you, but respect their jealousy because they're the ones who think that you're better than them.

soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:35 AM

My kids go to their age related youth groups and we go to church every Sunday.  We also started to go to Sunday school.  I'm not really expecting my youngest to understand it.  We are embracing the fact that our daughter is really "into" it and hopes that helps deter from some decisions later in life.  (We feel that she may take after her bio mom in the sex department.)  My oldest loves to go to his youth group.  I think because the leader takes them to fork people's yard afterwards!!  All in good humor!  My middle son doesn't really like to go and we don't always force him to go.  We mainly want him to go to learn to socialize.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)