• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Do You Monitor What Your Kids Watch and Listen To?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:35 AM
  • 12 Replies

How do you monitor what your kids listen to and watch on TV and online?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:44 AM

Let's see. For the internet, I check the browser history periodically. Lexie has her own laptop, but she knows I will check it. She also knows I have a "computer geek" friend (his own term, lol) who can still find her history even if she deletes it. For television, I use the parental blocks on their cable boxes. For Kiki and Sarah, anything TV-14 or higher requires a password. For Lexie, anything TV-MA is blocked. For music, they mostly just listen to their mp3 players. I have to load the little girls', so I know exactly what they're listening to. Lexie knows how to load her iPod, but I don't really restrict what she listens to. She's not into hardcore rap or any of that crap, so I have no problem with what she chooses to listen to. Some of it has language, but it's not sexual or terribly vulgar. (Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" is a good example. Yes, language. Vulgar, no.)

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999
Leslie Kirsten 03-14-2004
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 
Due Date 04-15-2012

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Since the tv, computer, and game system are where we can see/hear them, it's not a problem. They don't like any of the music we would find objectionable, so I don't worry about that. They know what they are and are not allowed to watch/play, so when at others' houses or, in ds1's case, playing on his netbook on the bus, I just have to trust them. So far, so good.

Chymerra
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:48 AM

I am within eyeshot of the TV and computer.  I also control the remote for the TV and I usually have the TV on 1 or 2 channels (usually HUB or Nick Jr).

As for the computer, I downloaded a kid safe  web browser.  Its called KidZui and pulls up content based on the kids age.  They are not allowed to access any website that isn't pre approved by the web browser.

Music wise, my DD listens to kids Christian music or Kids Bop. 

Jess1231
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:04 AM
He doesn't use the computer at all. As for the tv it has every channel blocked by a four digit code so he cannot watch something unless Dh or I unlock it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2boysmommy.js
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM

no internet allowed, and as for tv, i have the remote. they get no say

abmaddox1981
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM
Ds isn't old enought to worry about picking his own shows, right now all he wants to watch is dinosaur trai . Dd, we have certain websites she is allowed to go to, I use parental blocks on the computer to keep her from accidentally going to any websites that are inappropriate. All the tvs are locked for anything tv14 or higher. I also moitor what the hubs watches when the kids are up because he thinks its acceptable for my not quite 3yo to watch alien vs predator. He is insane!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Internet is easy because I don't allow them to get on the computer...and when they do, we supervise them while on it.  As well as check history.  On the t.v downstairs, I have parental locks on it so certain shows they can't watch.  The t.v upstairs is where we watch so if there's something on that they shouldn't watch, we shoo them out of the room.

family in the van   Mom of four

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:34 AM

The tv and computers are in public spaces. My older kids have radios in their rooms and iPods. They like the music I like, so far, so I don't worry much about what goes on the iPods. My youngest just listens to whatever comes onto iTunes. No one watches the television very much, especially during the day.

justanotherjen
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM

We don't really censor TV or radio.  Especially radio.  They listen to whatever me and my husband listen to and always have.  We have a wide range of tastes.  I like mostly country and 70s music.  My husband likes classic rock and heavy metal.  The kids listen to the top 40/pop station on the bus (Katy Perry, etc) and they got me hooked on listening to that stuff so I usually put that on now.  Basically if the song has been available for one of the Rock Band or Guitar Hero games my kids know the words to the song.

The TV is set up to show all the kids stations (including Cartoon Network).  The older ones know how to get off the list to find other stuff but usually stick to Nickelodeon, Disney or Cartoon Network.  They know what is and isn't allowed.  But since they can watch anything up to PG without asking and most PG-13 movies without asking it's not an issue.

They aren't allowed on the internet so that's not an issue.  They get in trouble if I find out they were touching my computer (the only one in the house).  They have no need to be online.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Yes.  They watch shows that have already been recorded and that I'm okay with: iCarly, Full House, Victorias (??), etc.  They hardly watch live TV because they hardly watch TV during the week. 

As for music, i'm always with them when we listen to music and it's pretty much what I would listen to.  They love Michael Jackson....which is a plus for me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)