• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Well Do Schools Communicate With Parents?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:41 AM
  • 17 Replies

During the Pell School process, some parents voice concerns that there is not enough communication from the school department. Do your children's schools communication too little, too often, or just enough?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thebailiffs
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:15 AM
Boy I am glad you asked. NO! There is not enough communication between parent and school. Before our son started school he was placed in a K-1 Combo class. The letter that arrived home to parent only said the teachers name and classroom. It didn't even give us the info. about the K-1. Here is another example, in the AM before school starts we were allow to go onto the playground and mingle and the kids could play with and on the equipment. We are one day and there are signs on the fence stating that due to Libility issues we can't go on the playground any more.

I wish there was a way for parents to have more time with the teacher. We see her when we drop off the kids and that is it.
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:28 AM
My daughters school is great with communication. I get a weekly classroom update & a monthly school update. Plus, if anything happens outside of the daily "norm" with Kai'Auna, they call me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chymerra
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Both kids school are great with communication.

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:09 AM

I think our school communicates just fine. I rarely have an issue, but if I do all I have to do is ask.

MrsChairez
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:12 AM
Our school communicates... The day before something. Like school pictures... Last year they sent home the order form & info the day before it's due. On everything, they wait until last minute and it bugs me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM

A friend and I were just talking about this last night.  We feel that they don't communicate enough.  Especially the junior high.  We were discussing the bully procedure that the junior high has or the lack of, and she feels that they should call us parents be it our child is being the bully or being bullied.  She feels this because when it comes to children like my son who won't tell me because they rather forget it when he is bullied, then at least we had contact from the teacher or principal to inform us of what's going on.  That way if there is a change in behavior we know what may be contributing to it.

family in the van   Mom of four

janitablue
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:43 AM

My son school is great with communication. We recieve phone calls, email on changes in the school. Letter are mailed out a week in advance. We recieve calenders on the meu in school.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Our district is great w/ communication. The superintendent emails a newsletter every month, the schools (at least elem. and middle) email newletters once a month, and the elem. teachers have online newsletters every Fri. Anything extra that comes up between newsletters gets sent out in an email. The district has a FB page, as does ds1's middle school. The PTO sends out emails once a month, as well,  and include a calendar w/ all the field trips, special events, and spirit dress-up days for the yr. All the teachers are open to any communication, although they do express a preference for email, and are more than willing to arrange a time to meet in person if you'd like. They do their best to respond to any from of communication within 24 hrs, 48 hrs max.

xtwistedxlovex
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM

DS's school was a little slow to let me know he was having problems, but since then communication has been good. The principal herself called me to let me know what was going on and then the teacher filled me in on it a little more. We've been working together to get DS where he needs to be.

Yesterday they called to tell me that DS had been sent to the nurse's office after being hit in the head with a lego...not even hard enough to leave a mark! I was a little stunned. I thought a note tucked in his folder would have sufficed since he wasn't even hurt.

highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Our school is communication happy.  Way too much information comes home, not only that but it comes home with all three children.  The first day of school I had a stack of papers about 2" of duplicate forms.  Plus we received an automated e-mail from the school with those same items attached.  We receive classroom updates for all three children, school newsletters for all three children, school board packages monthly, classroom calendars, the list goes on and on.  For me with three children there must be a way to streamline items so that families only receive one package and not three.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)