Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your kids pull cards?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM
  • 33 Replies

At my son's school they use a behavior system where they pull cards for behavior.  One card is a warning, two cards they loose 1/2 of a recess, three cards they loose a whole recess and so on.  Does anyone elses school use this system and if so how strict are they.  My son forgot his empty lunchbox at school and got a card pulled for it.  Mind you he is diagnosed as ADHD and has other issues he is working on.  He got no other cards pulled that day like he usually does for things such as talking out, or keeping hands to self.  I guess I am just venting, I just feel very frustrated as I feel this was a petty thing to pull a card for.  

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
madcrazymom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM
Our school flips bears for k and 1st. 2nd and up has fines. They get a checkbook with 100$ for each month. Each infraction is a fine and what's left over can be saved or something bought at the school store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michelleinfl
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:01 AM

At my dd's k-class they get a green smiley, yellow smiley or red smiley on their daily calendar. (It is sent home daily and has to be signed.) Each green is worth 2 points, yellow is 1 and red is 0. At the end of the week if they have at least 9 points they get something out of the treasure chest.

What grade is your ds in? I don't know if I agree with pulling a card for leaving his lunchbox. Perhaps a verbal "hey don't forget your lunchbox or we'll pull a card" might have been better. I know they need to learn to be responsible, but depending on his grade, I am not sure that I agree with that. Does he habitually forget his lunchbox?

_Mrs.H_
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:02 AM

It is something different every year.  This year each child has 3 magnets beside their name.  Every magnet is worth 10 minutes of recess.  So when they get in trouble they take one down and lose that amount of recess.

insanemomof4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM
at my kids school they move a clip all i know is that my son whose in 3rd grade wasnt to happy this morning before school becuz he had forgot to bring his hw home so he knew hed be losing 5 mins of recess. Which really upset him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bupkie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Ours have a similar system with a clothespin on a stoplight sign... Green, Yellow, Red...   Now, it is behavior related... not organization related... (for forgetting your lunchbox....)   But if you don't have your homework... then yes... you have to do it during recess.   If you have behavior issues, like talking during lessons, getting out of line, etc... then, yes... you would get your pin moved for continual infractions (4th grade...) ... 

However, our school district also implements "Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports" 

Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports"

• Be responsible
  • Be respectful
  • Be trustworthy
  • Be caring
  • Be ready to learn

They have a whole matrix of behavior expectations for different settings... examples for the children to follow.... rules for all the time, as well as for different times and places.   

The children are rewarded for maintaining good behavior as well as exemplary behavior.   Teachers give them "gotcha" rewards when they are "caught" in the act of going above and beyond... It is a great system... and has been working very well.   It is a great system of positive reinforcement rather than just punishment-based... negative attention...     

TheBabyFactory4
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Our kids school is similar to this. And its the same system for the whole parish. But each teacher has their own way of displaying the visual in the classroom. Most have clothes pins that get clipped on a different color face and then their "behavior calendar" is colored face (or my girls school is the gators so it's a gator the teacher marks a color on) I have to sign it everyday. My kids are angels at school, so each one has had 1 or 2 minor infractions each yr.

Quoting michelleinfl:

At my dd's k-class they get a green smiley, yellow smiley or red smiley on their daily calendar. (It is sent home daily and has to be signed.) Each green is worth 2 points, yellow is 1 and red is 0. At the end of the week if they have at least 9 points they get something out of the treasure chest.

What grade is your ds in? I don't know if I agree with pulling a card for leaving his lunchbox. Perhaps a verbal "hey don't forget your lunchbox or we'll pull a card" might have been better. I know they need to learn to be responsible, but depending on his grade, I am not sure that I agree with that. Does he habitually forget his lunchbox?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:08 AM
I'm not gonna quote all that bupki but the system our district/parish implements. I love it. They get prizes and fun things throughout the year for good behavior
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM

My son in kindergarten and first grade use a color chart. Green good , Yellow So So, Blue bad very bad............. They have student of the week in both grades. I have no idea what are they plans for second grade his school starts last week Thursday.

soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM

He got a card pulled for forgetting his lunchbox?  Is that what the teacher said?  I have heard of the card system but never of anyone getting a card pulled due to forgetfullness.  My youngest forgot his lunchbox but didn't get punished for it.  I know his class does a rug system.

family in the van   Mom of four

LadyJag
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:35 AM

My daughter's Kindergarten class has a similar system, but the cards are colored strips of paper called "reminders." From my Parent Orientation packet:

"When incorrect behavior choices occur, the student is reminded of the class rules and is verbally warned. If misbehavior is repeated, the student is given a color-coded paper strip that represents one reminder.

Pink - a uniform or hair infraction
Blue - a written communication or homework not returned
Yellow - displaying and inappropriate attitude
Red - talking at inappropriate times
Purple - not in assigned seat or area, throwing objects (not directed at someone), running in the classroom, disruptive actions
Orange - disrespectful to peers and engaging in a behavior that interrupts instruction time
Green (automatically counts as 5 reminders) - Reflects behaviors of an intentional nature. This reminder strip may also reflect more extreme behaviors...

During the course of a school day, 2 reminders = loss of 5 minutes of recess, 5 reminders = loss of 10 minutes, 7 reminders = loss of 15 minutes, 10 reminders = all recess is lost and the student receives a note home...

At the end of the day, students receive a sticker if they have not received any reminders. Also, stickers are given for sleeping at nap time so that most of the children are rewarded at the end of the day...

Awards are sent home periodically, highlighting positive behaviors (e.g., Good Friend, Good Listener)."

I'm a little put out by the "uniform infraction" and "communication/homework" not returned reminders, because for a 5-year-old child, I think that is more of a parent boo-boo than the child's problem, and the child shouldn't be punished for the parent's mistakes.

Also, my daughter got a reminder last week for "playing during lunch time." Ummmm...I'm not exactly sure what game she was playing, but as long as she wasn't out of her seat or throwing/upsetting things, I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, I know it's not recess, but it is lunch time in a noisy cafeteria.

Not that I'm upset by either issue, and I understand why those policies are there. I just think it's a little extreme for Kindergarten.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)