• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Lunch Challenge Day 4: What's in Your Bread?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM
  • 72 Replies

If your kid is stuck on sandwiches, as most kids this age are, you can still make his or her lunches healthier by paying attention to the bread you make the sandwiches on.

Your activity for Day 4 of the challenge is: Go Whole Grain! Make sure you're using whole grain bread instead of white bread for your kids' sandwiches--whether they're PB&J or anything else. Whole grain breads use all the nutritious parts of the grain, including the bran and the germ, so they're much healthier than white bread. They also have much more fiber, which can improve your kid's digestive system and heart health.

In the grocery store, look for breads that say whole grain, whole wheat, wheat berries or groats, bulgur or cracked wheat, for example. Especially note if whole grain is the first ingredient listed on the bread's label.

Do you use whole grain bread when you pack your kids' sandwiches? If not, think you can get him or her to try it?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyJag
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I sometimes use whole grain Sandwich Thins for Alyssa's PBJ sandwiches, but she prefers white or wheat bread.

highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM

We use multi-grain.  For my children sandwiches for school they get a multi-grain ciabatta buns.

othermom
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM

We use whole wheat bread

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM

No, I don't use whole grain bread.  I do bake my own for at home and when I buy bread I buy the kids choice with all the added vitamins.  She doesn't usually take a sandwich to school though.  

coraljean
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM
I use whole gain or whole wheat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Kristi on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Sarah prefers honey wheat.  She does not like white or whole grain breads.  She loves just bread with a bit of butter for a snack.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM

We have used a variety of whole grain breads for many years. My youngest's favorite is a flax seed bread.

I have also found that whole grain and or whole wheat doesn't mean the bread is nutritious. You also need to watch the ingredients for sugar, where is it in the list. If it's up high, I don't buy it. And if it has any form of corn syrup it stays on the shelf as well.

I've actually been making whole grain and sprouted grain breads. 

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM
I use it sometimes. One of my dd's needs more fiber in her diet so she does get it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissyB1011
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I grew up using whole wheat bread. My family MD told my mom DECADES ago that white bread wasn't the best option. I actually can't stand white bread.

We use whole grain or whole wheat bread or sandwich thins for DD's sandwiches. I do read labels because even though it says whole grain or whole wheat, it may still have alot of sugar in it. We recently tried a new kind of white bread by Sara Lee. It's called Iron Kids. It has extra fiber and calcium in it. I didn't think it tasted too bad.

CountryMama84
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

We use whole wheat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)