Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Lunches

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM
  • 9 Replies

I really can't complain about our school lunches, but sometimes I wonder if my daughter gets enough to eat.  She is starving by the time she gets home.  Maybe she just doesn't eat all her lunch.  Anyone else have this issue?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Momof2CuteGirlz
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM

My kids are both starving when they get home no matter how much food I put in their lunch boxes...lol.  I usually put too much just in case.  My kindergartner is loving school so much she forgets to eat and drink.  I think she eats the leftovers in the car on the ride home. LoL.

yo_ho
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Mine barely eats his as he's running out the playground to eat. I normally make him finish after school.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:53 PM
My kids always are hungry when they get home. Even if they eat it all. They also get healthy snacks at school. So I just make sure they have another healthy snack at home. Then a good dinner. They are growing and very active at school. They need that extra food on school days. Just make sure it's healthy, like fruits, raw veggies, pb on crackers, bean dip
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I think it's pretty normal for kids to be starving when they got home, but you should ask her if she's eating all of her lunch to be sure. Some kids get too busy talking or anxious for recess that they skip on eating everything.

natesmom1228
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Not this year because his lunch is as 12:40.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:23 PM
DD doesn't always finish her lunch. She sats she only get 2 minutes to eat which I know isn't true. I think she's too busy talking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2boysmommy.js
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM
hes hungry but not starving, its about two and a half hrs from lunch to pick up, and thats when he has recess, art music pe and other extras so hes really active
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:04 PM

i work in the school cafteria at my kids school & have the same issue.  here's the reasons:

1. the kids eat early!  we start serving our first class at 10:15, last comes through at 12:20.  school is out at 2:25 & many of the kids don't get home till after 4.  due to daycare, after school activities, etc.

2. lunch is the only realy "social" time the kids have.  at our school they only get about 15-20min of recess after lunch.  that's it!  no other time during the day.  so many kids spend much of lunch chatting with classmates.

3. long lunch lines.  we have almost 700 kids at our school.  of that about 450-500 eat school lunches, on average.  it's more than that on some days, like when we have pizza.  so lines can get long & a bit of their lunch period can be spent waiting in line.  though they have a lunch schedule that is made to avoid having the kids wait sometimes classes come late/early, especially with subs, & we'll end up having 3 classes coming through the line at once.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Mine come home hungry, but that does not surprise me, given when they eat at school. Ds1 has breakfast around 6:50, lunch at 12:05, and gets home at 3. Ds2 has breakfast at 8:10, lunch at 11:30, sometimes a small snack in class in the afternoon, and gets home at 4. Dd has lunch at 12:15 before I take her to school, has a small snack there, and gets home at 4.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)