Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad Sleeper Kintergardener

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son who started kintergarden last week, I put him into afterschool care.  So it might be  a little tiring for him,  he was mostly home for the summer. Yet he has been up every night, visits my bed, etc.  He was like that when he was in full day preschool before too. He woke up every night,  was a very bad sleeper.  He does not take nap either. He slept better when he was home half of the days. It seems like he wants to make up the time lost for being home by staying up at night...

I have to work full time soon, hiring a nanny to pick up and take him home early could be an option, it would just cost more than having him at an afterschool care.  Any advice to get him sleep through the night?  His brother was sleeping through the night since he was 2.5. 

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KimberlyMKasten
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM

I would just keep putting him back in bed until he gets the picture that he needs to stay in bed a go t sleep.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:09 PM

make sure you give him that special time (I know you are busy!) but it will help. cuddle, play, read stories, etc. really really get it in there.then you keep taking him back to his room after bedtime. he will learn quickly there is no adaption to the in bed rule. You can also reward every morning when he has stayed in bed the whole night? after so many stars or something he gets something special? even maybe 10 minutes extra time with mommy, etc?

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I agree with PP. I woudl also suggest a very structured routine before bed so he starts associating those thing in that order with his body starting to unwind fo bed. Like brush teeth, wash face,potty, then story in bed, hugs and kiss and then lights out. It has worked wonders for getting my night owls on a more day based schedule.

albensmom
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I had his Daddy read him a story and cuddled with him, it did not help, he woke up in the middle of the night, visited my bed and demanded me holding him again.  So it has to be me doing all the pre-bed routine?

kcook55
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2011 at 1:11 PM

i agree with the routine when my son woke in the middle of the night hes not allowed out of his bed and he cant come in my room

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)