Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you volunteer at your child's school?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM
  • 43 Replies

Do you volunteer? I haven't opted to do PTO meetings cause I don't have the time with a youngster at home. I did opt to help with the yearbook and if they asked me to help with something I probably would as long as my son was taken care of. He is a trouble-maker. LOL

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Yes.  In fact, I took a day off of work yesterday to volunteer at the school.  I was either in my twins' kindergarten class helping the teacher out or in the PTA office.  I am the Box tops Coordinator so I was doing some work with that. 

I also help out at events when I can.

mommasaint
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Yes, on Mondays I work with my DS's 3rd grade class during math. I work with each math group (low, middle and high groups) on their curriculum for the week. I really really enjoy it.

On Tuesdays I work in my 2nd grade DD's classroom. It's also during math, but it is during their weekly testing time, so it's more going around the room to the students that need help or are having problems with their computers.

On Thursdays I go to DD's Kindergarten classroom. It's during craft/sensory time, it's really fun to see how each of their little minds work.

I go when my youngest is at Pre K. 

Jess1231
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:13 PM
No I'm not able to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I do volunteer. I also have never joined the PTO. I have volunteered to work at the Santas Secret Shop and I have baked many things for the bake sales.

Rushn311
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Wow, some of you ladies do a lot! That's awesome!

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:31 PM
I pretty much do classroom volunteering as opposed to PTO. I've been room parent for the past 3 years. I did sign up for the 6th grade memory book (like a yearbook I guess) this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Mrs.H_
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I help when I can.  I have my daughter with me at my son's school so I am kind of limited sometimes.  I help out with preschool when I can always.
I was there today! :)

bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:46 PM

No I have anxiety problems and the only kids I like are mine. I know thats horrible.

LadyJag
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Every family at my daughter's private school is required to do 25 hours of volunteer work each year by May 1st or pay $10/hour for each hour under 25.

I can't volunteer often during the school day because I work full time Monday-Friday. However, I've accumulated almost 5 hours of volunteer time already, and will pick up another 5-6 at the church/school bazaar next month. (Hubby and I work the class booth and help with clean-up.)

Also, hubby took a vacation day so he can chaperon our daughter's field trip next week, so we should get another 3-4 hours from that as well. With any luck and some careful planning, I'll have almost all 25 hours by Christmas break. :)

stefvan
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I work full-time, but I do send in items for parties and try to do one field trip a year (as long as my kids will want me to).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)